Re: [XP] The perfect XP environment?

  • Ken McKelvey
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2001
      "Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Responding to Ken McKelvey (03:14 PM 5/31/2001 -0500):
      > >The space is about 1500 square feet, surrounded by windows.
      > >It's a nice, sunlit space. I would like to put all the
      > >programmers there, a programming manager, and a couple of
      > >customer representatives.
      > >
      > >Any suggestions?
      >
      > Two to start things off ...
      >
      > 1. http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/c3space.htm

      To be honest, when I first saw your extreme programming space plan I thought to
      myself, "whoa, this is not a place I would want to spend my days". It seems
      cramped, no windows, with virtually no "personal" area.

      From a managment perspective, I can appreciate how this setup could be very
      productive. However, having been a programmer for many years, always with my
      own personal space, I'm not sure I would have welcomed this environment with
      open arms.

      Some of our "senior" programmers have lake-view offices, this having been a
      reward of sorts for reaching "senior" status and I'm sure some of them will
      resist this change.

      Having said that, I'm committed to implementing XP because "we can do better".
      I want to make the transition as pleasant as possible, while remaining
      committed to the principles of XP.

      Here are some more detailed questions about XP programming facilities:

      1) Does your customer representative have his/her own office/cube?

      2) Does the programming manager have his/her own office? If not, where do
      "private" meetings (performance reviews, etc) happen?

      3) Is there a conference table/room/area? Private or open?

      4) How do the programmers handle receiving e-mail on a timely basis?

      5) Is there a place for a programmer to go when they need to have a private
      phone conversation, other than the desk along the wall?

      Thanks,

      Ken McKelvey
      Wisconsin CCAP
    • Gareth Reeves
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2001
        > 1) Does your customer representative have his/her own office/cube?
        NO
        > 2) Does the programming manager have his/her own office? If not, where do
        > "private" meetings (performance reviews, etc) happen?
        No - Conference Rooms
        > 3) Is there a conference table/room/area? Private or open?
        Both
        > 4) How do the programmers handle receiving e-mail on a timely basis?
        We have our own desks with personal machines on
        > 5) Is there a place for a programmer to go when they need to have
        > a private
        > phone conversation, other than the desk along the wall?
        Yes - We have phone booths (tiny cubicles)

        You can see pictures for one of our project workspaces here :
        http://members4.clubphoto.com/gareth297848/Feb_1_2001/

        You can also see our live web cam at
        http://exceed.lante.com

        Gareth
      • azami@speakeasy.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 2001
          --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Tim Wise" <tjwise@m...> wrote:
          > I had a little red wagon for all my personal stuff. I just swept
          > everyting off one workspace and moved to another each iteration.
          Buy
          > one for everyone.

          I _LOVE_ this! What a cool idea!

          -Matthew
          azami@...
        • adam@adamli.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1, 2001
            Will all of the people work on same project?

            --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Ken McKelvey <ken.mckelvey@c...>

          • adam@adamli.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1, 2001
              I thought ThoughtWorks Chicago office (6th Floor) is pretty good for
              XP teams never worked there). You may be able to get their floor
              plan or something like that.

            • ken.mckelvey@courts.state.wi.us
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Tim Wise" <tjwise@m...> wrote:

                > We put one computer and one pair at each [table]. There were approx
                >3 chairs (with wheels) per table.

                Thanks Tim, your response was very helpful.

                It seems from the responses I received that there are (at least) two
                common XP configurations in regards to programming workspaces:

                1) All computers, workspaces, phones, are community property, to be
                used by whoever needs them at any particular time. Programmers may
                have some "personal area" along a wall, or have a drawer in a desk for
                their personal belonings.

                2) Give each programmer a desk, phone, computer, etc. that is "their
                own", and still assume that all production software will be
                pair-programmed. I assume this means that someone will come and sit
                down at an individual's personel desk for this purpose.

                Does anybody have strong feelings about one way or the other?

                Thanks in advance,

                Ken McKelvey
              • Gareth Reeves
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                  > Does anybody have strong feelings about one way or the other?

                  Yes.

                  A couple of things

                  1) Machine ownership will lead to differences in configuration and setup on
                  machines. This will lead to integration and build issues.
                  2) All personal distractions, particularly chat, email and phones should be
                  moved far enough away to not interrupt a pairing session. I find that the
                  bullpen is as much about keeping people focused as it is about increasing
                  communication.

                  I guess we have the deluxe configuration. Community development
                  workstations, personal laptops and personal phones.

                  Gareth
                • Jason Rogers
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                    I think the best setup would be to have the community owned properties that
                    you list in #1, but also to have more than just a space on the wall or a
                    drawer somewhere as "personal space." The reason for this is not so much to
                    have a place to store your personal junk, as it is to have a place to
                    retreat to that you can call your own. This retreat may include a phone, a
                    computer, etc., but most of all it has some walls! Cubes work great.
                    Computers and phones are good to have there so that we can read our emails
                    and respond in private if we'd like to, and so that we can have some privacy
                    when taking/making calls.

                    HTH.
                    -Jason

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • kentbeck@csi.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Jason Rogers" <jason.rogers@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > I think the best setup would be to have the community owned
                      properties that
                      > you list in #1, but also to have more than just a space on the wall
                      or a
                      > drawer somewhere as "personal space." The reason for this is not
                      so much to
                      > have a place to store your personal junk, as it is to have a place
                      > retreat to that you can call your own.

                      Home?

                      Kent
                    • Jason Rogers
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                        > Home?

                        I disagree. You need to have some place that you can go to outside of the
                        bullpen for things like:
                        + eating your bagged lunch

                        + taking important phone calls (some important things do happen during
                        work hours that don't require you to go home, but do require you to address
                        immediately - those are just things of life... and you don't necessarily
                        want the rest of your team right in earshot. Also, bullpen's can get noisy.
                        There are times that you may need a quiter environment, and not just for
                        personal business. I have business calls that require a quiter space
                        sometimes.)

                        + what about when you are pairing with someone who comes in and leaves
                        generally around the same time as you. If the bullpen is full, the only
                        station you have to address the email issue is at the pair's workstation.
                        Sure this can be worked around, but personally, I would rather not have to
                        be under the gun to write, read, or respond to emails just because my
                        partner needs to do the same thing. Also, I don't think it is neccessary to
                        have to come in 30 minutes earlier or stay 30 minutes later just to take
                        care of this business. Having personal space with a computer available
                        addresses this.

                        + when the pair needs to do some research, which often times doesn't need
                        to be done together

                        In short, I believe there are valid reasons for personal space that don't
                        fall into the category of "Leave it at the door." You may call it creature
                        comforts if you'd like, but that's what makes working at company A more
                        appealing than working at company B who does not provide these things.

                        -Jason
                      • Dossy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                          On 2001.06.04, Jason Rogers <jason.rogers@...> wrote:
                          > In short, I believe there are valid reasons for personal space that don't
                          > fall into the category of "Leave it at the door." You may call it creature
                          > comforts if you'd like, but that's what makes working at company A more
                          > appealing than working at company B who does not provide these things.

                          Could this be why I'm hoping that company A will have a "going out
                          of business dot-com garage sale" so I can pick up a really nice
                          foosball and pool table really cheap?

                          Are we trying to build a product and generate revenue, or are we
                          trying to build a playground for technically inclined oversized kids?

                          I understand that in today's job market companies _think_ they have
                          to offer such silly perks to "retain good employees" but the fact
                          is good employees will work where the work is worth doing. Companies
                          that think they can make up for poor management decisions, decline in
                          sales resulting in layoffs, a lack of a good marketing effort, and
                          incomplete ROI analysis all by offering their remaining employees
                          perks and creature comforts. Perhaps if they just paid better and
                          didn't make people work more than 35 hours a week and offered decent
                          amounts of paid time off, they wouldn't HAVE problems retaining
                          good people, even without the so-called perks and creature comforts.

                          Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I know what _I'd_ prefer
                          to receive.

                          I'd rather design my office-space to maximize effectiveness at the
                          cost of personal comforts, to encourage people to DO THEIR WORK,
                          and then LEAVE for more pleasant places, like home, or vacations.
                          And, if you pay people well enough, they could afford to fill their
                          homes with all the creature comforts they like, and they don't
                          even have to SHARE them with co-workers if they don't want to!

                          - Dossy

                          --
                          Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
                        • Jason Rogers
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                            Right... be realistic, will you?

                            The biggest benefit of personal space is not the creature comforts the way
                            you describe it! It isn't about having a place to play and get paid for it
                            and then do some work on the side.

                            Emergencies *DO* come up, and personally I would like to take care of them
                            in privacy. Whether that means having my own cube to get away into, or
                            having a room set aside with a door and a sign that says "In Use."

                            As far as the other things, well they are nice to have but not essential,
                            but if you are going to have private cubes anyway, they make the perfect
                            place to facilitate these things.

                            Email: I keep coming back to this. Maybe no one else works for a company
                            where your XP team is required to interact with some other team in the
                            company who is not on hand (1500 miles away and three hours difference), but
                            I have to. Email is essential in these situations. I try to take care of
                            them all at once so I don't have to take up pairing time. This becomes
                            difficult to do if I don't have a workstation of my own. I will concede,
                            however, that this too is not necessary. But I believe the whole idea of
                            this thread was the "ideal" workspace. These are things that would be
                            ideal, FOR ME.

                            -Jason
                          • Gareth Reeves
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                              > In short, I believe there are valid reasons for personal space that don't
                              > fall into the category of "Leave it at the door." You may call
                              > it creature
                              > comforts if you'd like, but that's what makes working at company A more
                              > appealing than working at company B who does not provide these things.

                              I don't think that the point was that you wouldn't have any personal space.
                              More like, when you really need to get away, its probably time to go home.

                              Gareth
                            • Jason Rogers
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                > > In short, I believe there are valid reasons for
                                > personal space that don't
                                > > fall into the category of "Leave it at the door." You may call
                                > > it creature
                                > > comforts if you'd like, but that's what makes working
                                > at company A more
                                > > appealing than working at company B who does not
                                > provide these things.
                                >
                                > I don't think that the point was that you wouldn't have
                                > any personal space.
                                > More like, when you really need to get away, its probably
                                > time to go home.

                                Again, I respectfully disagree. Lunch time is a good example. I don't
                                always like to eat with others in the company lunch room/break room. I
                                often times like to read while I eat and find it difficult to do in those
                                arenas. Also, a five minute break to "free" my mind (outside of the games)
                                is quite a relief, but it doesn't warrant going home.

                                I think you are being extremely rigid about this!

                                -Jason
                              • Brian C. Robinson
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                  At 12:00 PM 6/4/01, you wrote:
                                  >--- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Jason Rogers" <jason.rogers@t...>
                                  >wrote:
                                  > > I think the best setup would be to have the community owned
                                  >properties that
                                  > > you list in #1, but also to have more than just a space on the wall
                                  >or a
                                  > > drawer somewhere as "personal space." The reason for this is not
                                  >so much to
                                  > > have a place to store your personal junk, as it is to have a place
                                  > > retreat to that you can call your own.
                                  >
                                  >Home?

                                  It would be nice to retreat while getting paid. At my company we each have
                                  our own cubes and then we have a lab where we all do our development. The
                                  machines in the cubes are used primarily for email, word processing, etc.
                                • Gareth Reeves
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                    Jason,

                                    I'm not sure who you are responding to, I think its me. But there must be a
                                    communication issue because I am in complete agreement with everything you
                                    said.

                                    I think we have a pretty good workspace. It consists of:

                                    1) Pairing machines where team members work on tasks for the iteration. No
                                    email, chat or phones at these desks.
                                    2) Away from the machines we have small personal desks (without dividers
                                    around them) where we keep our laptops for email chat and doing whatever
                                    else it is that we do. Personal phones are also on these small desks for non
                                    private conversations.
                                    3) Phone boots for private conversations.
                                    4) Conference rooms for private meetings.
                                    5) Lunch table for socializing away from computers.

                                    I think the need for dedicated (with walls) space for team members is over
                                    kill. That's when you should go home.

                                    Gareth

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                      I pretty much agree with you Gareth. I still take exception to not needing
                                      some walls *somewhere*. That may not be my own cube (convenient if it is).
                                      It may be somewhere else on the grounds. My point here is being able to be
                                      by yourself for a short period of time (5 - 30 minutes) without having to go
                                      home. The times I find myself wanting to do this are usually around lunch
                                      time. The conveniency of a cubicle is not necessary, as I have already
                                      conceded. But, as I said, this is just my opinion. Take it for what it's
                                      worth. I don't think it warrants a lot of discussion.

                                    • philip.markgraf@verizon.net
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                        (Phil)
                                        Our team spent quite a bit of time selecting the
                                        equipment that went on the desks, trying to improve
                                        the ergonomics of the setup. We made and were
                                        happy with these choices (in no particular order):

                                        o Dual keyboard and mice for every development
                                        system. All of the devices live all the time.
                                        (They were all USB. It took a little work to
                                        get Linux to recognize them). This allows a
                                        developer to set up their position once, and not
                                        have to shift when changing who is inputting.
                                        You can line your body up correctly with your
                                        input devices and the (single, shared) monitor.
                                        [We discussed two monitors, but decided we
                                        wanted to be able to point to the screen easily].

                                        o We used tables with a slight convex edge. This
                                        feels better when you are trying to line up with
                                        the monitor. It gives a more even support for
                                        your arms.
                                        o Very quiet workstations. We bought the quietest
                                        machines we could lay hands on.
                                        [Dell Optiplex 150 in the small form factor case].

                                        o Isolate noise sources. We put all of our noisy
                                        equipment (server, switches and so forth) in a
                                        seperate room with a door, that was adjacent to
                                        the team room. We would have preferred having
                                        a window into this room.

                                        o The most comfortable chairs we could lay hands on.
                                        [Herman Miller Aeron chairs].

                                        Our thinking was we were going to spend a lot of
                                        time in a (relatively) tight space. We wanted
                                        to be as comfortable as possible, with a minimum
                                        of distractions. We wanted to bring developers in,
                                        not drive them to their private space.

                                        Best of Luck,
                                        Phil Markgraf

                                        > (Ken)
                                        > I currently find myself in the fortunate position of being
                                        > able to design an XP programming facility from scratch,
                                        > three months in advance of its actual use, and I'm hoping to
                                        > get some feedback from those who are currently in the XP
                                        > trenches. I've read with enthusiasm all three XP books
                                        > (Explained, Installed, Planning) and found the information
                                        > on facilities to be somewhat sparse.
                                        >
                                        > We currently have approximately 20-25 Java programmers
                                        > working throughout our facility in offices, cubes, corners,
                                        > etc. New space just opened up in our building. We're going
                                        > to consolidate all of the programmers into a single unit,
                                        > and I want the space to be designed right for XP
                                        > programming.
                                        >
                                        > The space is about 1500 square feet, surrounded by windows.
                                        > It's a nice, sunlit space. I would like to put all the
                                        > programmers there, a programming manager, and a couple of
                                        > customer representatives.
                                        >
                                        > Any suggestions?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks in advance,
                                        >
                                        > Ken McKelvey
                                        > Wisconsin CCAP
                                      • Doug Swartz
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                                          ken.mckelvey@... wrote:

                                          > --- In extremeprogramming@y..., "Tim Wise" <tjwise@m...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > We put one computer and one pair at each [table]. There were approx
                                          > >3 chairs (with wheels) per table.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks Tim, your response was very helpful.
                                          >
                                          > It seems from the responses I received that there are (at least) two
                                          > common XP configurations in regards to programming workspaces:
                                          >
                                          > 1) All computers, workspaces, phones, are community property, to be
                                          > used by whoever needs them at any particular time. Programmers may
                                          > have some "personal area" along a wall, or have a drawer in a desk for
                                          > their personal belonings.
                                          >
                                          > 2) Give each programmer a desk, phone, computer, etc. that is "their
                                          > own", and still assume that all production software will be
                                          > pair-programmed. I assume this means that someone will come and sit
                                          > down at an individual's personel desk for this purpose.

                                          We may not have the 'perfect XP environment', but we also don't have either of the aforementioned options.

                                          We have a development area in which all code is written. This area has pairs of tables placed along a North wall with windows.
                                          Each table has at least two chairs with wheels and most have two computers. Why two computers? Often a pair of developers will be
                                          running either a full unit test (around 5 minutes for 5000+ tests) or an acceptance test (some take up to 15 or 20 minutes) at one
                                          machine. On the other machine we'll continue working on the card. Each pair of tables has a speaker phone which we use to call our
                                          customer with questions if they are off-site at their other office.

                                          For personal space we have small 'partner' cubes. Each cube is 6 foot by 12 foot and is occupied by 2 people. Each person has a
                                          corner of their own with a chair, small bookshelf, PC for e-mail and word processing, and phone. The personal PC is pretty small
                                          and slow ranging from a Pentium 180 to a P II 450. We have cheap analog phone service in our personal spaces, but the phone is a
                                          spread spectrum cordless phone. This allows people to take their phone with them into a private space (a few small rooms with
                                          doors) when necessary. It also allows us to take phone calls from our loved ones when we are in the developer area. While a
                                          ringing phone can be an interruption to a working pair, we believe the increased wedded bliss and familial harmony more than make
                                          up for any temporarily lost productivity.

                                          Since most of our developers have project roles in addition to programming (working with purchasing to order hardware, security
                                          group interface, legacy software development organization interface, ....), we believe the personal spaces are necessary. While
                                          they are smaller than any of us were used to 'before XP', we usually don't find ourselves in them at the same time as our 'cube
                                          partner', so there doesn't seem to be much of a privacy problem. Cube partners also choose each other, so that alos helps.

                                          Doug Swartz
                                          daswartz@...
                                        • Johannes Brodwall
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                                            Personally, I must say that the idea of giving up a little personal
                                            sphere sounds a little bit frighting. Maybe I just like the
                                            opportunity to be lazy. This is something that I have always been
                                            pensive about when it comes to community workspaces. I think most
                                            people like to have their own area that they can cultivate the way
                                            they want. I might be wrong, though.

                                            One thing you might want to consider is WLAN. It gives a great sense
                                            of mobility, especially combines with laptop computers ("look ma, no
                                            wires!"). Modern laptops can have screens that are large enough for
                                            pair programming. YMMV.

                                            Sincerely,
                                            Johannes Brodwall