RE: [XP] New projekt approach

  • Torben Wölm
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      We had a similar way of starting the last project. The customer had prepared
      a document with 14 (quite abstract) requirements.

      What we did, was to rewrite the requirements on cards, and noting the ones
      that needed splitting (that is, we thought would need more than 3 story
      points) or were too abstract.

      We then had the customer help split and specify the abstract requirements.

      After that we were all set to continue using taskcards.

      One major problem we are facing is that we have a "formal project manager",
      and she still lives in our old planning system. Every time we bring our
      estimates, she wants to recalculate them into hours, so they fit in with the
      company masterplan.

      We are now doing it this way:
      Take the story points and multiply them with 37 (that is the total number of
      hours in our work week). This figure is the one she uses in the masterplan.

      We then take our measured velocity, fx. 2 story points per iteration and
      tell that we can do 74 hours worth of features per iteration. (No matter
      what the masterplan tells...)

      This is (was?) a major headache, because the manager refuses to use the
      "points" we use for estimates.

      So we will see how this works for the next release...

      Regards,
      Torben

    • Fredrik Thörnblad
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
        Gareth Reeves wrote:

        > > The customer has bought this development based on a requirement
        > > specification (as always) and is used to the BDUF type projects (is he
        > > in for a surprise or what?).
        >
        > Hi Fredrik
        >
        > Is this fixed scope and fixed price contract?

        Yes it is. I don't like it, but that's the way they (customer & my
        company) prefer to do business...

        > > As a first approach I'm thinking of turning each requirement (more or
        > > less) into a story. Is this a good approach?
        >
        > How much do you anticipate the customer being involved? Do you respect a
        > common response to be - 'I have given you the requirements, why do we need
        > to rewrite them?' or 'I dont care about the priorities, it all needs to get
        > done before 11/1/01'

        I don't know how involved they want to be yet. I'll have to get a feel
        for it when we have our first "real" meeting with the customer. But,
        they have excpected a whish for close contacts with regular meetings.
        Don't know if that's just to check on our progress or to be actively
        involved...

        > You are better off sitting down with the customer and turning the spec into
        > stories. Then have her prioritize them. However, I think this will be hard.
        > Its a great experiment, let us know how it goes.

        I'm definitely having them prioritize the stories. That way they will
        get the important stuff first, not the most fun/most challenging to
        implement first.

        > May the force be with you.
        >
        > Gareth

        I think I feel it somewhere in a toe...