[extremeprogramming] Re: Elves in the Night [Stupid XP Questi on Number 6614]

  • Robert C. Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
      > From: Dave Thomas [mailto:Dave@...]

      > "Robert C. Martin" <rmartin@...> writes:
      >
      > > Dave Thomas <Dave@...> wrote in message
      > > > So I'm only allowed to add a nightly job to back up the repository
      > > >only after we've had a disk crash and lost all the source?
      > >
      > > If your customer has not made nightly backups a priority, then they
      > > must be willing to lose all the source.
      >

      > Well, most of my customers frankly aren't interested in source code,
      > version control, logging and the like. They're things that are below
      > the horizon for them, but vital for the process that delivers what
      > they *do* want.

      Right. And as I said in another message, *you* are the customer of the
      development environment, and therefore get to specify what features it
      has. If you think it needs nightly backups, then you put it in.
      However, if your customer does not demand that you back up the master
      database of his system every night, even after you have warned him of
      the consequences, then you don't do it.

      Robert C. Martin | OO Mentoring | Training Courses:
      Object Mentor Inc. | rmartin@... | OOD, Patterns, C++,
      Java,
      PO Box 85 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 | Extreme Programming.
      Grayslake IL 60030 | Fax: (847) 548-6853 |
      http://www.objectmentor.com

    • Robert C. Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
        > From: Patrick Logan [mailto:patrickdlogan@...]

        > Robert C. Martin writes:
        > >
        > > It astounds me how often I get asked this question. People have
        > > this very odd view of XP. They think that it eliminates all good
        > > design and prevents any kind of intelligent thought about software
        > > structure.
        > >
        > > Of course I have not given up any of the things you mention. Look
        > > at the way I wrote my book. How many times did I create designs
        > > and write code, only to back away and say "ick!", and then refactor
        > > the designs and the code into something better? That was the
        > > fudamental pattern throughout the book! it is also one of the
        > > fundamental patterns of XP.
        >
        > I think this is a fundamental issue with XP worth broadcasting far and
        > wide. People, including myself, would benefit from seeing how an XP
        > product evolves test-by-test.

        I hope you can come to the next XP Immersion, 2/28/00 in Santa Cruz. In
        one of the sessions, we spend about two hours having Kent and a partner
        refactor, with tests, a small program; displaying their actions on the
        big screen. It's a *very* enlightening presentation. Of course then
        you get to spend several hours trying it with a few different pair
        partners, as you develop the application your are working on for the
        class.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
          > From: William Wake [mailto:william.wake@...]
          >
          > I'm a beginner with XP (a member of the class a few weeks ago),
          > but I've written up an example "Using JUnit to Unit-Test GUIs"
          > that you can find at:
          > http://users.vnet.net/wwake/xp/xp0001/index.shtml
          >
          > I think it captures some of the flavor of "test then code". I'd
          > appreciate any feedback.

          Very nice document. Well done!