[XP] Re: EJB and junit

  • Michael T. Nygard
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
      I've written a test runner that is a servlet. It can invoke EJBs "in-place"
      on the server. Coupled with a quick deployment and a local server, unit
      testing them becomes easy.

      If there is interest, I will post the code.

      --Michael T. Nygard

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
        Is this really Unit testing or is it Functional testing?

        > > we are using WebLogic server to build Enterprise JavaBeans. I want to
        > > use junit to do unit tests of the beans. I am new to EJB and can not
        > > think about an easy way to test the beans in the container.
        > >
        > > It looks like I need to write a Remote-Interface for the tests to be
        > > able to run them on the server. This looks like too much work to do.
        > > Is there an easy way to run junit on the server? How do other people
        > > do it?
        >
        > The same problem crops up in writing Jini services and clients -- how do
        > you test the remote stuff in short times (which is probably where stuff
        > is most likely to break).
        >
        > I am presently experimenting with testing the server locally first,
        > which ensure that at least it sets itself up properly (Jini being
        > somewhat finicky about setup issues), and I'll take figure out the next
        > step when I get to it.
        >
        > Has anyone else more experience with unit-testing distributed apps?
        > Tips, traps, tricks?
        > --
        > Mike Morris cOcO Technologies cc
        >
        > Java & OO training, consulting and software.
        >
        > mike.morris@...
        > Ph: Intl +27-44-388-4635 Local (044)388-4635
        > P O Box 34, Rheenendal, 6576, South Africa
        >
        > -- A day without chillies is a day wasted --

        Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=extremeprogramming&m=1
      • Eric Rizzo
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
          "Michael T. Nygard" wrote:

          > I've written a test runner that is a servlet. It can invoke EJBs "in-place"
          > on the server. Coupled with a quick deployment and a local server, unit
          > testing them becomes easy.
          >
          > If there is interest, I will post the code.

          Yes, please do!

          --
          Eric Nicholas Rizzo
          eric.rizzo@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
            Here's the code for the servlet itself. I have additional resources for
            deploying this as a web component in the Sun J2EE reference implementation,
            which are not attached, but are easy to recreate.

            This is part of an article for which I am seeking a publisher.

            Feedback would be wonderful. I wrote this at home, with no pair [/me hangs
            head in shame].

            Cheers,
            --Michael T. Nygard
          • Michael T. Nygard
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
              I believe it is really unit testing, for two reasons:

              1. It's running JUnit test cases. <grin>

              2. I write the same tests to be invoked this way as with any other unit
              tests. The only difference is the "test harness".

              I've seen proposals to create a test harness that accurately duplicates the
              behavior of a servlet engine, or an EJB container. First of all, that is
              exceedingly difficult. Second, any test harness sufficiently accurate will
              be equivalent to the application server itself. (And, of course, that means
              the test harness is complex enough to have its own set of defects.)

              (If one truly wants to employ a "test harness" that accurates duplicates the
              application server's environment, one could turn to the Apache-Sun
              collaboration, Tomcat.)

              Cheers,
              --Michael T. Nygard

              > Is this really Unit testing or is it Functional testing?

            • James W Grenning
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
                > Has anyone else more experience with unit-testing distributed apps?
                > Tips, traps, tricks?

                First get confidence in local execution, then move toward distributed
                execution. The client side of an interface can be tested using a server
                stub that has the same interface and asynchronous behavior as the real
                server, but produces consistent/canned/repeatable results. Once the local
                asynchronous tests are running, move your server stub to a distributed
                machine. Run those same tests comparing the consistent/canned/repeatable
                results as before. Adding the asynchronous behavior makes the tests more
                complicated.

                The strategy can be reversed for testing the server to client interactions.

                We're using this strategy in a c++ environment using CppUnit. I had to
                extend CppUnit to have overall Initialize and Finalize functions for system
                setup and tear down that is used over all the tests run.

                James
                James Grenning High Point Software Technology Company
                Design Consulting 10 High Point Drive (847) 438-9942
                Project Management Hawthorn Woods, IL
                OO Training 60047
                jgrenning@... www.HighPointSoftware.com
              • Greg Kapfhammer
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 3, 2000
                  On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, James W Grenning wrote:

                  > > Has anyone else more experience with unit-testing distributed apps?
                  > > Tips, traps, tricks?
                  >
                  > First get confidence in local execution, then move toward distributed
                  > execution. The client side of an interface can be tested using a server

                  If you are doing distributed computing development with Jini, JavaSpaces
                  and Java, then you should look to reading some of the short articles that
                  Ken Edwards wrote about designing and testing distributed applications.
                  He makes some good practical reccomendations about the best way to to set
                  up your Jini environment so that you do not make common mistakes when you
                  are testing in a "local execution" framework.

                  Check out the article at:

                  http://www.kedwards.com/jini/develop.html

                  Other helpful hints can be found at:

                  http://www.kedwards.com/jini/

                  Anyone out there using Jini to do distributing computing development in a
                  commercial application?

                  greg

                  | Gregory M. Kapfhammer | RST Corporation |
                  | Research Associate | 21351 Ridgetop Circle |
                  | gkapfham@... | Dulles, VA 20166 |
                  | http://www.rstcorp.com | (703) 404-9293 |
                • Brian Wilson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2000