[XP] Re: Testing EJB

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2000
      >I kind of hate to bring this up, but my first strategy for testing something
      >as complicated as EJB is to use simpler technology. If you can solve your
      >problem with something simpler, like servelts and a mapping tool, or even a
      >raw active database, do it. EJB is enormously complicated, the
      >implementations of the cool stuff is dodgy at best, and there's a whole lot
      >there that I've never needed.

      I would say that your design strategy is to choose simple technology first.
      I view that as core to XP. It is certainly core to how I design software,
      and it effects what technologies I choose to learn and use.

      I wrote about this in an email to this list about a month ago -
      unfortunately, a few folks decided to turn the message into a Perl debate.
      Well, I'll add to your Servlet recommendation: also consider Perl.

      regards
      jk

      _______________________________
      Industrial Logic, Inc.
      Joshua Kerievsky, founder
      mailto:joshua@...
      http://industriallogic.com
      415-292-6266
      415-292-6267 (fax)
    • Gareth Reeves
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2000
        I agree with you both on choosing simple technologies and simple solutions.
        EJB could be considered a simple technology becuase it saves us having to
        write a whole bunch of complex stuff (ConnectionPooling, Persistence etc).

        Further more, the problem here is not the complexity of system itself it is
        the complexity of what is required to test.

        I think these testing issues need to be overcome so that it is possible to
        implment EJB solutions using XP. If not, where is XP heading?

        Gareth

        >I kind of hate to bring this up, but my first strategy for testing
        something
        >as complicated as EJB is to use simpler technology. If you can solve your
        >problem with something simpler, like servelts and a mapping tool, or even a
        >raw active database, do it. EJB is enormously complicated, the
        >implementations of the cool stuff is dodgy at best, and there's a whole lot
        >there that I've never needed.

        I would say that your design strategy is to choose simple technology first.
        I view that as core to XP. It is certainly core to how I design software,
        and it effects what technologies I choose to learn and use.

        I wrote about this in an email to this list about a month ago -
        unfortunately, a few folks decided to turn the message into a Perl debate.
        Well, I'll add to your Servlet recommendation: also consider Perl.

        regards
        jk

        Industrial Logic, Inc.
        Joshua Kerievsky, founder