Re: [XP] Metaphor depracated?

  • Ivan Tomek
    Message 1 of 189 , May 1, 2001
      I think that this discussion shows that the first problem of the concept that
      everybody seems to understand it in a different way. Somebody gives 'assembly
      line' as an example, somebody else talks about an 'executive summary' which is
      obviously much more extensive, others talk about a one-page overview. I
      thought it was more like the 'assembly line' example. So what is it really?

      I tended to use the 'assembly line' style and found it surprisingly useful to clarify
      what was being discussed. It sometimes turn out that people have rather
      different things in mind and discussing possible metaphors uncovers these
      differences. I found that it was then easier to think of and talk about user stories.

      Ivan

      > Responding to Dave Thomas (09:40 PM 4/30/2001 -0500):
      > >I guess what I'm thinking is that a metaphor can start out as simple
      > >jargon, and be evolved into some kind of coherent whole. So rather
      > >than trying to teach the grand visualization, teach the simple act of
      > >naming significant things, and then work on finding links between
      > >those names. Let the metaphor _emerge_ over time, rather than try to
      > >come up with it upfront. I've never tried to do this consciously, but
      > >thinking back, that's the way we've come up with decent metaphors and
      > >analogies on projects in the past.
      >
      > Yes, we fall back on System of Names. But it's not as satisfying as a good
      > metaphor, which when you get it, can really set you on a nice path.
      >

      > Ronald E Jeffries
      > http://www.XProgramming.com
      > http://www.objectmentor.com

      > Don't miss XP UNIVERSE, the first US conference on XP and Agile Methods. Early
      > registration discounts EXTENDED until May 1, 2001. www.xpuniverse.com for
      > details and registration.

      Ivan Tomek,
      Jodrey School of Computer Science
      Acadia University
      Nova Scotia, Canada

      fax: (902) 585-1067
      voice: (902) 585-1467
      e-mail: ivan.tomek@...

      WebNet 2001 Conference, Orlando, Florida;
      Oct. 23-27);
      http://www.aace.org/conf/webnet
      Plan to attend!
    • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
      Message 189 of 189 , May 7, 2001
        Ron Jeffries:
        >Metaphors are not something to understand (Lakoff et al notwithstanding).
        >Metaphors are something to experience. Let it happen; it won't do any
        harm.

        Maybe as a corollary to Alistair's quote about analogies we can say, "All
        metaphors are neither true nor false, some are useful." ;-)