Re: [XP] Metaphor depracated?

  • Kenneth Tyler
    Message 1 of 189 , May 1, 2001
      >Perhaps "metaphor" is even too extreme for most people. Perhaps
      >"abstract" is a better word (or, maybe not a better word, but a
      >better idea). "High-level overview" is probably the term most
      >techies can appreciate. ..
      On some projects I have replaced "metaphor" with "one page drawing". That
      is, you make a one page drawing of the whole system (which forces it to be a
      "high-level overview"). This drawing gets shared around to the different
      folks concerned.

      Kenneth Tyler www.tinyxp.org berkeley, ca
    • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
      Message 189 of 189 , May 7, 2001
        Ron Jeffries:
        >Metaphors are not something to understand (Lakoff et al notwithstanding).
        >Metaphors are something to experience. Let it happen; it won't do any
        harm.

        Maybe as a corollary to Alistair's quote about analogies we can say, "All
        metaphors are neither true nor false, some are useful." ;-)