Re: How to use design patterns.

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., rmartin@o... wrote:
      > One can view the choice of a pattern as a hypothesis: "I
      hypothesize that the observer pattern is a good solution to this
      problem." A good designer will then set about to choose a set of
      experiments that will verify this hypothesis. Those experiments are
      likely to be tiny stepwise implementations if test cases that, bit by
      bit, implement the problem to be solved. At any time during this
      implementation, the pattern should be viewed only as a vague
      direction, not as the law. And should the experiments show that the
      pattern is not optimal, the pattern should be abandoned.

      === Robert, you make some great observations here regarding the use
      of design patterns. Let me add one item for thought to the
      process -- design patterns help keep a team focused.

      I agree that patterns should *always* be reviewed. Flaws in
      the process can usually be identified by the team and corrected
      by the paired programmers. Once the corrections are made, a
      new design can be generated to properly track these changes. I
      know the XP community as a whole have an natural dislike for
      designs as they do not contribute to code generation. However,
      I find them a useful tool for helping keep everyone on track and
      focused on the process at hand.

      Lee in Las Vegas