Re: [XP] Selling XP

  • Michael C. Feathers
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 17 9:07 AM
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Gareth Reeves <reevesg@...>
      > I need help with a problem selling XP. I get lots of resistance to XP from
      > people who don't understand how you could sell a project to a client where
      > you cannot define exactly what it is that the client is buying and for how
      > much. To be fair, this is the business world that we live in.

      From what little I know about marketing, it seems that
      convincing someone to use XP when you develop for
      them outsourced is more akin to selling a service than
      a product. I think that the trust threshold that you
      have to meet is higher.

      Michael

      Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
      Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
      XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
      www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
    • Jeff Grigg
      Message 52 of 52 , Jun 19, 2003

        --- Jon Eaves <extreme-programming@m...> wrote:
        > In fact, we're finding the opposite. It's a great way to
        > spread a cold around the office. It's winter here in
        > Australia, and we've nearly wiped out a team that has been
        > pairing full on ;-)
        >
        > We need to add to the XP practices.
        > . Eat fruit and stay healthy

        We need to add this practice:
        | -> "If you are sick, stay home!"

        http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20000109/LI_004.htm

        XP teams have high "truck numbers." You can best serve the team by
        staying home and getting better.

        Because knowledge is shared, and the "truck number" is high, the team
        can continue to produce without you. Unless you're going to be
        productive at the office, you may as well stay home.

        Also, your "take a disease to work" day may infect your team members,
        causing them to be unproductive and/or take days off sick.