[extremeprogramming] Re: All the extras (I don't know about: Elve s in the Night)

  • Robert C. Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2000

      Functional tests are defined by the customer. They are a kind of
      restatement of the user stories in very formal terms. They provide
      certain stimuli to the system, and expect certain outputs.

      If there are user stories that demand multi-user behavior, then there
      should be functional tests that prove that the multi-user behavior
      exists. I presume, however, that no customer is going to understand the
      insidious nature of multi-user problems; and that the multi-user
      functional tests will therefore be a bit naive. I'd be looking closely
      at them and augmenting them to make sure they cover as many boundary
      conditions as feasible.

      Unit tests can test multi-threaded stuff. A single unit test can create
      multiple tasks and provide the stimuli that make them interact.
      Programmers will want to create unit tests that stress the interactions
      between tasks. Still, it's difficult to find the nasty reentrancy
      problems that way. Sometimes the best approach is just a monte-carlo
      test with random timings.

      Robert C. Martin | OO Mentoring | Training Courses:
      Object Mentor Inc. | rmartin@... | OOD, Patterns, C++,
      Java,
      PO Box 85 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 | Extreme Programming.
      Grayslake IL 60030 | Fax: (847) 548-6853 |
      http://www.objectmentor.com