Re: [XP] Pair programming vs. Mentoring in a pair

    Message 1 of 79 , Apr 2, 2001
      Responding to Kenneth Tyler (06:45 AM 4/2/2001 -0700):
      >since xp opens up channels of communication i would
      >expect that the team will move the dial from 3 to 7 when the need
      >arises....until it arises maybe its better not to try and force it...

      My concern is that good habits don't usually improve during times of
      stress. If they don't keep their tests running now ... if they don't pair
      now ... if they don't track their estimates and update their velocity now
      ... if they aren't reflective now ... what will they do when the going gets
      tough?

      On the other hand, they're not my projects -- except that they are ALL my
      projects -- so many I need to just let go.

      Discontinue reading if rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops.
      Especially irritation.
    • billy@psisys01.nrlssc.navy.mil
      Message 79 of 79 , Apr 9, 2001
        davechaplin@... wrote:

        > Responding to Ron Jeffries:
        > > Not in public. Anyone who has been around has seen teams differ by
        > > at least 10X, and probably has ideas as to why. I make no
        > > productivity claims for XP at all, at least not in terms of
        > > numbers. There's no way to know, AFAICS.

        > My personal experience is that by doing upfront testing and using
        > automated test harnesses you get a massive increase in productivity.
        > People spend more time building the new stuff, and less time fixing
        > what they have already apparently finished writing.

        Absolutely.

        If all a person got out of studying XP was unit testing, automated testing,
        and (especially) test-first programming, their productivity would almost
        have to improve.

        As far as "Silver Bullets" -- it seems that every year or so, there's a new
        methodology that promises to reduce defects, shorten delivery times,
        increase profits, and clean out that bottom left desk drawer that
        I'm afraid to look in anymore. One difference I see with XP is that
        although there *is* a coherent system, its elements (or at least some of
        them) are more or less decoupled. Certainly Continuous Testing,
        Simple Design, Refactoring, Continous Integration and the 40 hour week
        all stand on their own. In fact, I once thought I had invented
        Continuous testing/integration and Simple Design. I guess I should
        have written a book....

        --
        Billy Chambless
        Planning Systems Incorporated