Re: [XP] Pair programming vs. Mentoring in a pair

  • Kenneth Tyler
    Message 1 of 79 , Apr 2, 2001
      ..
      >They have the dials turned up to maybe 7, which gives them maybe half the
      >effectiveness they could really have. Maybe it even feels good to them
      >because in their previous lives the dials were turned up to around 3, and
      >they're five times more productive than they used to be. But they could be
      >so much more!
      >
      >I don't know that this is bad ... certainly I'm not perfecting myself as
      >rapidly as I could be ... and yet it bugs me.
      ...my own programming goes through clear stages of confusion | learning |
      mastery | challenge | confusion and my feeling about how i am doing is often
      times not related to how i am really doing (my wife helps keep me on track).
      a danish philosopher in a book called "the user illusion" points out that
      the bandwidth of consciousness is VERY narrow, compared with all that we are
      experiencing at any one time. It may be that the "sweet point" for some
      teams is at different points that for others...i suspect this has a lot to
      do with their "fit" in their over all culture and environment...it may have
      to do with the temperment of the team's charismatic
      programmers/managers....since xp opens up channels of communication i would
      expect that the team will move the dial from 3 to 7 when the need
      arises....until it arises maybe its better not to try and force it...maybe
      the company around them has its dial at 1, and if they turn theirs past 3
      they will "burn up" instead of giving off light and heat.

      Kenneth Tyler, 8th Fold, Berkeley
    • billy@psisys01.nrlssc.navy.mil
      Message 79 of 79 , Apr 9, 2001
        davechaplin@... wrote:

        > Responding to Ron Jeffries:
        > > Not in public. Anyone who has been around has seen teams differ by
        > > at least 10X, and probably has ideas as to why. I make no
        > > productivity claims for XP at all, at least not in terms of
        > > numbers. There's no way to know, AFAICS.

        > My personal experience is that by doing upfront testing and using
        > automated test harnesses you get a massive increase in productivity.
        > People spend more time building the new stuff, and less time fixing
        > what they have already apparently finished writing.

        Absolutely.

        If all a person got out of studying XP was unit testing, automated testing,
        and (especially) test-first programming, their productivity would almost
        have to improve.

        As far as "Silver Bullets" -- it seems that every year or so, there's a new
        methodology that promises to reduce defects, shorten delivery times,
        increase profits, and clean out that bottom left desk drawer that
        I'm afraid to look in anymore. One difference I see with XP is that
        although there *is* a coherent system, its elements (or at least some of
        them) are more or less decoupled. Certainly Continuous Testing,
        Simple Design, Refactoring, Continous Integration and the 40 hour week
        all stand on their own. In fact, I once thought I had invented
        Continuous testing/integration and Simple Design. I guess I should
        have written a book....

        --
        Billy Chambless
        Planning Systems Incorporated