Re: [XP] Pair programming vs. Mentoring in a pair

  • Kenneth Tyler
    Message 1 of 79 , Apr 1, 2001
      ..>> >If working on a project as a developer (instead of as a mentor), I
      >> >think I would find it frustrating to spend extended pair-programming
      >> >time with other staff that have a large skill difference to me. I
      >> >would like to be able to work with someone of similar skills where
      >> >'drive' time was closer to 50/50.
      ..my father always said, hire attitude, skills can always been
      learned...what I find essential is someone who is willing to work uphill,
      regardless of skill....i had one person i was teaching say after about a
      year, i don't want to learn something new all the time, i want to get a job
      where they will pay me for doing something i already know how to do...

      kenneth tyler
    • billy@psisys01.nrlssc.navy.mil
      Message 79 of 79 , Apr 9, 2001
        davechaplin@... wrote:

        > Responding to Ron Jeffries:
        > > Not in public. Anyone who has been around has seen teams differ by
        > > at least 10X, and probably has ideas as to why. I make no
        > > productivity claims for XP at all, at least not in terms of
        > > numbers. There's no way to know, AFAICS.

        > My personal experience is that by doing upfront testing and using
        > automated test harnesses you get a massive increase in productivity.
        > People spend more time building the new stuff, and less time fixing
        > what they have already apparently finished writing.

        Absolutely.

        If all a person got out of studying XP was unit testing, automated testing,
        and (especially) test-first programming, their productivity would almost
        have to improve.

        As far as "Silver Bullets" -- it seems that every year or so, there's a new
        methodology that promises to reduce defects, shorten delivery times,
        increase profits, and clean out that bottom left desk drawer that
        I'm afraid to look in anymore. One difference I see with XP is that
        although there *is* a coherent system, its elements (or at least some of
        them) are more or less decoupled. Certainly Continuous Testing,
        Simple Design, Refactoring, Continous Integration and the 40 hour week
        all stand on their own. In fact, I once thought I had invented
        Continuous testing/integration and Simple Design. I guess I should
        have written a book....

        --
        Billy Chambless
        Planning Systems Incorporated