Re: [XP] "Politics" as a part of a methodogy? (recovering from a rant)

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 7:22 PM
      On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 acockburn@... wrote:

      > I'm interested in short stories with happy endings - name a time
      > when some piece of politics took a turn, even if only briefly, for the
      > better. From a few such stories, we could begin to detect some how-to's
      > around the politics area. And I'm only interested in the backbiting and
      > "sneak around them" routines if lthey actually help (I know the latter does,
      > actually).

      It is easier to seek forgiveness than to get permission.

      Actively choose where you sit in meetings.

      Choose your meetings, (refuse some, gate crash (politely) some, leave
      some early) don't let them just happen to you. If you have nothing to say
      and there is nothing you need to hear, don't go.

      Middle management are there to keep the ship on course, senior management
      are there to set the course. Choose your target.

      Never mind the pecking order, look for the food chain and work to that.

      The best way to destroy a silly procedure is to placidly follow it to the
      letter.

      True Consensus is hard to build. It cannot be built in large groups, as
      the unspoken majority are not in the consensus. Silence implies unspoken
      dissent or apathy that will bloom into active opposition when they have to
      do something.... Consensus can only be built in extended rounds of
      face-to-faces interspersed with full meetings to impose sanctity on the
      results. If two faced people are ruining your day have three way meetings
      including a person from the other side.

      Avoid/Evade Emperors. They are like blackholes, all pull and no give.

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand

      Carter's law of Strategic Planning.

      "Beware of plans that apply equally well to making pizza as to
      software development, for they shall neither improve thy pizza nor
      thy software."