RE: [XP] OT: Political Philophy ( was: RE: Why is "Politics" neve r a part of a methodogy? (a rant))

  • Robert Watkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
      wecaputo@... wrote:
      > Thus not only does knowledge + bullets, trump bullets, but
      > also, knowledge
      > without bullets can trump bullets. Gandhi proved that -- and
      > he *was* shot.

      Only because he played the English value system against them. If India had
      been a French colony, Gandhi would have been lucky to stay a two-bit layer
      in South Africa.

      Knowledge only trumps bullets when you can remove the will to pull the
      trigger... as a survival strategy, I wouldn't trust it.

      Robert.

      --
      "Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side,
      and it holds the universe together"

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
        >Knowledge only trumps bullets when you can remove the will to pull the
        trigger...

        I would say that Knowledge trumps bullets when one can use that knowledge
        to create a situation where pulling the trigger is not advantageous to
        one's enemy.

        Laws attempt to do this all the time. Social pressures can accomplish this
        as well. Knowledge of social forces can make a person untouchable.

        Weaker forces can defeat numerically, and superiorly armed opponents.
        Societies where armaments are banned still manage revolution, the knowing
        play the ignorant against each other, resistance fighters hide their
        movements and organization from overwhelmingly superior occupying forces,
        civil disobedients stand against armed dispersers, the list goes on.

        Anyone who wishes can cling to, "might makes right", but history disagrees.

        When was the last time any of you gained the advantage using bullets? How
        about using knowledge or brains?

        I am not suggesting that physical force is irrelevant, but its not usually
        sufficient. Might is not always the victor. And while force is often the
        final arbiter that arbitration doesn't always go to the physically
        superior.

        Might makes right is not as effective a strategy as many want to believe.

        Best,
        Bill