OT: Re: [XP] Why is "Politics" never a part of a methodogy? (a rant)

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2001
      Ralph A. Mack:
      >Since everybody seems to be quoting political thinkers here, dare one
      >mention that "the workers control the means of production?" Oh, Bill
      >already did several posts ago... :-)

      Well, if the programmers don't control the production of software who does?
      If you fire them you still have to get someone to write the damn thing. A
      pizza shop manager taught me this one a long time ago when I asked why he
      tolerated his drivers coming in late -- he said "what are you going to do,
      call random people and ask them to deliver your pizzas tonight because you
      fired your drivers?"

      The first unions were based on this idea, and they became political beasts
      in their own right. Just because Marx wrote it down, doesn't mean its not
      necessarily true.

      Marx's mistake was in thinking that Hegelian synthesis was going to
      culminate in communism (pretty arrogant), those who applied it made the
      mistake of thinking they could force the synthesis to occur. The result was
      more politicking, not less.

      >Lovely company we're keeping...

      That's what everybody says about me... :-)

      Best,
      Bill