Re: Redesign vs. Refactor (Was Re: RE: [XP] Candidate for "Replace Conditional With Polymorphism"?)

  • Michael Larionov
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      > There's an interesting general question here - is refactoring
      > *always* preferable to redesigning, even when (setting myself up as
      > devil's advocate) there is an alternative design clearly superior to
      > the existing one and you have confidence that you can build the
      > new design in and still have all the tests pass at the end ?
      >
      > (I know, it's a loaded question. It's intended that way.)

      Thank you for this question!
      I also wonder when redesign and rewrite is better than refactoring.

      I don't worry so much about little redesigns, they usually go through pretty smoothly.

      I would say they are almost the same as refactoring except you have to write new unit
      tests
      and make sure you understand all business rules of the piece you redesign.
      You better have automated acceptance tests though! Or at lease someone who knows for
      sure
      all the business rules of the piece you are rewriting.

      When you attempt big redesign and rewrite, get consent from the customer.
      Rewrite is usually very risky and the customer should understand all the
      implications. We in our small group attempted "complete rewrite" a few times
      and it never was a complete success, we always miss deadline by 50%,
      usually because of very lengthy QA phase.