RE: [XP] RE: (OTUG) XP in Interactive Systems? (was UMLWorld Powe rPoint slides available for download)

  • Robert Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      Glen B. Alleman writes:
      > Code Sharing is problematic in safety or mission critical
      > environment, where
      > the safety or mission critical parts of the code are locked down.

      This doesn't violate CollectiveCodeOwnership. Nobody, but nobody, changes
      code that's locked-down; not the top architect, and not the most junior
      programmer. It's owned by nobody. The code that's _not_ locked down can be
      collectively owned.

      > The "on site customer" is problematic is many domains,
      > starting with system
      > integration of COTS systems. As a supplier to the integration
      > process, the
      > customer, in many cases, is a build to spec, no humans.

      Where the specs are imprecise, who decides on the interpretation to use? The
      customer. Would it be more effective if they're on-site? (If it doesn't
      happen often, it may be not cost-effective, I agree. The substitute pattern
      of having one of the senior developers, with previous domain experience, be
      a customer proxy can work here)

      Is there a need to release versions of the software that are not fully
      spec-compliant (yet) so that downstream work can be done (that's one of the
      points of iterative development, after all)? Who decides what features need
      to be in each release?

      You may not need an on-site customer, especially if the spec is very
      precise, but I would contend that an off-site customer role is still
      required, and is being filled.

      --
      "Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side,
      and it holds the universe together"