[extremeprogramming] Re: Elves in the Night [Stupid XP Question Number 6614]

    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3 4:00 PM
      At 04:01 PM 1/3/2000 -0800, you wrote:
      >I think this is a fundamental issue with XP worth broadcasting far and
      >wide. People, including myself, would benefit from seeing how an XP
      >product evolves test-by-test.

      In eXtreme Programming Installed, scheduled to reach AWL in March, we are
      experimenting with showing a small product in evolution. No promises yet,
      but your interest encourages us to try.

      Regards,

      Ron Jeffries
      Extreme Programming Training and Consultation
      ronjeffries@...
      web pages: http://www.XProgramming.com, http://www.armaties.com
      pgp key: http://www.armaties.com/pgpkey.htm
    • Robert C. Martin
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 5 7:47 PM
        Tom Kreitzberg <Tom.Kreitzberg@...> wrote in message

        > But I think "flexibility" means different things to XP and,
        > shall we say, pre-XP OMA. In XP, doesn't it primarily mean
        > once and only once? In pre-XP OMA, doesn't it primarily mean
        > OCP and low coupling? When I wrote that XP "is structured so
        > that inflexible designs are cheap to change," I meant inflexible
        > in this second sense.

        There is no fundamental difference between pre XP Object Mentor, and
        post XP
        Object Mentor except that we have identified XP as the process we like
        use. Even this is not a big shift for us, since XP is very similar in
        spirit and practice to the unnamed process we have used for years.
        There
        are differences, certainly -- specifically in the areas of pair
        programming
        and test first programming; but these are differences in intensity, not
        in
        philosophy. As for the rules governing simplity, the planning game,
        quick
        iterations, etc, we were very closely aligned.

        Flexibility means the same to me now as it did five years ago. The
        ability
        to add or change significant amounts of functionality while changing a
        minimum of exsiting code -- i.e. the OCP. OnceAndOnlyOnce leads to this
        goal just as the OO design principles do. It is my goal over the next
        several months to integrate the principles and XP.