RE: CRT's and Dyslexia (Was: Re: [XP] C++ Books and extra stuff)

  • Jason Gruber
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
      On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 05:11:15PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
      > > I have found that, for me, soft copies beat hard copy references by a
      > > shot. I have yet to meet a back-of-the-book index that could beat
      > > /usr/bin/grep.
      > Love too but Dyslexia makes it a bit hard.

      Ryan Wrote back..

      Ahhh... I'm sorry. I hate being insensitive to stuff like that. Though
      the soft copies might still be useful as a one-off reference guide, which
      is all I use it for anyway (I can't imagine reading much of the C++
      standard in one sitting).

      >>You didnt know, so no offense taken ;)

      I am, however, intrigued by this
      "dyslexia-makes-reading-things-on-the-computer-more-difficult" thing.

      Do flat panel displays help at all?

      >>No. Good Graphics Cards and decent sharp monitor is fine for me.
      voodoo3 + 19inch Sony Triniton at home Laptop For work.

      Would having the angle adjusted help? -- I.e., I've seen some desks that
      have a glass top that you look down through at your monitor, which might
      make it better emulate the angle you have when you read a book.

      >> Never seen one but would like to try one.

      Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
      background on dark test? No difference?

      >>Yes! and this is has relevence to all. The colour of the background and
      text is important for any medium.
      When I was at uni doing psychology there was a load of research beeing done
      into colour and paper

      One study found that white background black text on exam papers was not
      good. Light Green / Light Blue black text is the best for concertartion and
      improved memory functioning.

      As for my monitor ... Pale blue Background and Black text means that I
      can look at my screen for ages. But not enough to read for long.
      Especially on the web where white backrounds rule.

      If you were to take one of the old teletypes where the display is just a
      printer, would that solve the problem (though of course it would add to
      other problems).

      >>Headachs yep! ;)

      I don't think I have any traces of dyslexia, and for the most part I'm
      new skool when it comes to hard vs. soft copies. Still, even I enjoy the
      ability that hard copies give you to change positions when reading a long

      I'm wondering if "the future" holds a solution with the flexibility of
      soft copies and the friendliness of hard copies.

      >>Apprently so. Flexible LCD is coming. Yipeeeeeee

      > That and a winmodem in home pc(</usr/bin/grep>!). Must get round to
      > changing that..
      You, too, can have your very own /usr/bin/grep:

      > Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.
      I have to echo the sentiments of Mr. Rosenstrauch when he so aptly
      "The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?"???!?!?!?

      >> See later post about this. Soory.

      - Ryan King

      Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com