Re: Increasing velocity

  • jent@ioink.com
    Message 1 of 61 , Feb 1, 2001
      Russel,

      Our velocity is based on a three way split between primary
      programming, pair programming, and "other stuff." If we come up
      early (or late) on primary programming, it is a sure bet that one of
      the other areas has suffered. It is usually easy to identify which
      area needs the attention (by looking in the time tracking system),
      and the problem is solved! Last time, we got to spend a few days on
      what Covey would call Quadrant 2 tasks. Things like learning
      refactoring principles, making our test/version control environment
      better, and reviewing our team priorities. We are very careful to
      keep balanced, because the results are so incredible when we do!

      Jennifer
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Russell Gold <russgold@a...> wrote:
      > I know I have missed something. I looked all through "XP Installed"
      and didn't see it: how do you *increase* your velocity?
      If you finish all your stories for an iteration before the time is
      up, can you just pick up any stories not scheduled for the iteration?
      Is the customer expected to list some as "do if you have time"? What
      if somebody else is still working on a scheduled task and has a pair
      (so he doesn't need you)? Is there a way still to take part of that
      task to increase the likelihood that it will be completed on schedule?

      ----
      > Russell Gold | "... society is tradition and
      order
      > russgold@a... | and reverence, not a series of cheap
      > | bargains between selfish
      interests."
      > http://httpunit.sourceforge.net | - Poul Anderson, "Iron"
    • Paul Michali
      Message 61 of 61 , Feb 8, 2001
        Erik Hanson wrote:

        > One trick is to do what JUnit (and probably lots of other programs do): store
        > the properties file in the jar and let it be overridden by a properties file
        > outside the jar. Apparently, all one needs to do is put the properties file in
        > the classpath before the jar file and then use getResourceAsStream() to load
        > the file. (Though I've had problems getting getResourceAsStream() to work the
        > way I want it to; if anyone has seen an online tutorial that explains it to
        > idiots like myself, I'd love to hear about it.)

        I tried your suggestion and it works great! I have a property file in the Jar file
        and my class path has "." and then the Jar file. If I call out the name of the
        property file as a command line arg, it uses the one in the Jar. If I add a
        property file in the same dir, with the same name, it uses that. Here's the
        code I used, FYI:

        props = new Properties();
        try {
        InputStream settingsFromFile =
        ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAsStream(propertyFile);
        props.load(settingsFromFile);
        }
        catch (IOException e) {
        throw new MissingPropertiesException("Error reading settings file <" + propertyFile +
        ">");
        }
        catch (NullPointerException npe) {
        throw new MissingPropertiesException("Cannot find settings file <" + propertyFile +
        ">");
        }

        I run the app with:

        java -cp .;D:\path\app.jar mypackage.ClassWithMain my.props

        where my.props is the name of the property file. Thanks for all the pointers!

        PCM (Paul Michali)

        Carrier Voice Gateway Business Unit (CVGBU)
        Cisco Systems, Inc.
        250 Apollo Drive
        Chelmsford, MA 01824

        Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 45817 (978) 244-5817 [direct]
        Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]