Re: [XP] Re: Planning Game and Tracking Velocity

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      At 11:25 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Erik Hanson wrote:
      >On our last iteration (which was our 9th), the dev team estimated *perfectly*.
      >At 5:00 on Friday of the last week of the iteration, the last story was
      >checked in and tested. The customer (me) was very impressed.

      Congratulations!

      >Now that our program is about to go into production, I know we'll be getting
      >questions like "will feature X make it in the next release?" and I know I'll
      >be able to answer "yes" or "no" instead of "I'm not sure", which will make the
      >users happy (as soon as they start learning that when I say "yes" I mean it).

      Don't get TOO cocky. Estimates are still estimates, even when they are
      good. Things happen, mistakes are made, folks get colds. The real customer
      skill is providing stories that are so fine-grained that you can take out
      little bits of your favorite features, ensuring through scope control that
      the core of the required function is there.

      In the end, the customer controls scope to maximize product content in the
      time available.

      Regards,

      Ronald E Jeffries
      http://www.XProgramming.com