Re: [XP] Questions questions questions

  • Sean Zachariasen
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
      > You're going to want to get a good reference book for the environment
      you're
      > working in. If you're programming C++ in Microsoft's Visual Studio, I
      > suggest you get the MFC book (sorry, the title escapes me at the moment)
      > from Microsoft Press. I know it's a bit much that they expect you to buy
      the
      > manual separately, but it's worth the price, especially because the MFC
      > library is a pain to get your head around. If you're working away from the
      > Windows world, get a good reference to the Standard Template Library.

      Don't just get a book on the STL - get a book on the C++ Standard Library.

      A don't worry too much about other languages at this point. Master this
      one. I've always been of the opinion (no bigotry here - only a reference to
      complexity) that if you can master C++, then you can quickly grasp (and
      learn to appreciate) other languages. esp. Java

      Sean Zachariasen
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
        At 11:49 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Sean Zachariasen wrote:
        >A don't worry too much about other languages at this point. Master this
        >one. I've always been of the opinion (no bigotry here - only a reference to
        >complexity) that if you can master C++, then you can quickly grasp (and
        >learn to appreciate) other languages. esp. Java

        There is some truth to this opinion. I'm not comfortable with the original
        choice of C++ as a starting point, but you can certainly learn a lot from it.

        Kind of like cutting down a tree by hand so you can appreciate a chain saw,
        but you'll get real familiar with the wood, and you'll build up useful muscle.

        Regards,

        Ronald E Jeffries
        http://www.XProgramming.com
        http://www.objectmentor.com
      • John A. Maxwell
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
          "Nicholas DiPiazza" <firelord@...> asked:
          [snip]
          > Does anyone have any good books out there to recommend to
          > a future OOP programmer.. Does anyone suggest I should dip my nose into any
          > other languages for my benefit's sake?

          C++ books: "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel

          Other books: The XP trilogy, of course.

          "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Abelson, Sussman, and Sussman.
          This is my favorite introductory computer science book; after 20 years
          as a professional programmer, it still taught me things when I first
          read it. It uses a lisp dialect called Scheme. They cover a bit of OO
          in there, but not a lot. The full text is online at
          http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/sicp.html

          Other languages: I won't bother telling you to learn Smalltalk,
          because _many_ others will do that.

          -John

          --
          John A. Maxwell (jmax@...)

          "`You may recall Archelaus's explanation of earthquakes,' he said
          cryptically. `Earthquakes were cause by air trapped in underground
          caves. It shook the earth in its effort to escape. Everyone knew then
          that the earth was flatulent.'"
          -John MacPhee, Annals of the Former World
        • Vera Peeters
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4, 2001
            The book I found the most illuminating for learning OO is definitely
            "Designing Object Oriented C++ Applications Using The Booch Method" by
            Robert C Martin.
            Personally, I think the articles you can find in
            http://www.objectmentor.com/publications/articlesByDate.html, explain
            everything even more clearly. I especially like the first 4 of the
            "Principles": Open-Closed Principle, Liskov Substitution Principle,
            Dependency Inversion Principle and Interface Segragation Principle. Sadly
            enough, the book he promises in those articles hasn't yet been finished. I
            guess he's busy with other things these days....