CRT's and Dyslexia (Was: Re: [XP] C++ Books and extra stuff)

  • Ryan King
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 11:34 AM
      On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 05:11:15PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
      > > I have found that, for me, soft copies beat hard copy references by a long
      > > shot. I have yet to meet a back-of-the-book index that could beat
      > > /usr/bin/grep.
      >
      > Love too but Dyslexia makes it a bit hard.
      Ahhh... I'm sorry. I hate being insensitive to stuff like that. Though
      the soft copies might still be useful as a one-off reference guide, which
      is all I use it for anyway (I can't imagine reading much of the C++
      standard in one sitting).

      I am, however, intrigued by this
      "dyslexia-makes-reading-things-on-the-computer-more-difficult" thing.

      Do flat panel displays help at all?

      Would having the angle adjusted help? -- I.e., I've seen some desks that
      have a glass top that you look down through at your monitor, which might
      make it better emulate the angle you have when you read a book.

      Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
      background on dark test? No difference?

      If you were to take one of the old teletypes where the display is just a
      printer, would that solve the problem (though of course it would add to
      other problems).

      I don't think I have any traces of dyslexia, and for the most part I'm
      new skool when it comes to hard vs. soft copies. Still, even I enjoy the
      ability that hard copies give you to change positions when reading a long
      passage.

      I'm wondering if "the future" holds a solution with the flexibility of
      soft copies and the friendliness of hard copies.

      > That and a winmodem in home pc(</usr/bin/grep>!). Must get round to
      > changing that..
      You, too, can have your very own /usr/bin/grep:
      http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

      > Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.
      I have to echo the sentiments of Mr. Rosenstrauch when he so aptly
      asked:
      "The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?"???!?!?!?

      - Ryan King
    • Dossy
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 7:14 PM
        On 2001.02.01, Ryan King <rking@...> wrote:
        > Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
        > background on dark test? No difference?

        Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
        vs. a light background under dark text?

        - Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 7:30 PM
          At 10:14 PM 2/1/2001 -0500, it seemed like Dossy wrote:
          >Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
          >vs. a light background under dark text?

          You see? You just don't GET it, do you? We try to bring you along, but you
          just don't GET it!

          Ronald E Jeffries
          http://www.XProgramming.com
          http://www.objectmentor.com
        • Dossy
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1 7:53 PM
            On 2001.02.01, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
            > At 10:14 PM 2/1/2001 -0500, it seemed like Dossy wrote:
            > >Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
            > >vs. a light background under dark text?
            >
            > You see? You just don't GET it, do you? We try to bring you along, but you
            > just don't GET it!

            Just not dsylexic enough, I guess.

            - Dossy

            --
            Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
          • Ryan King
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1 8:08 PM
              On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:14:02PM -0500, Dossy wrote:
              > On 2001.02.01, Ryan King <rking@...> wrote:
              > > Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
              > > background on dark test? No difference?
              >
              > Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
              > vs. a light background under dark text?
              Heads you lose, tails I win.

              Darnit -- I obviously didn't proofread that sentence at all. Matter of
              fact, IIRC I just let the spell checker run and considered it verified.

              - Ryan "You knew what I meant" King
            • Jason Gruber
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2 1:28 AM
                Opps there you go. Welcome to the stange world of dsylexia.

                swap the U and the A

                www.accu.org

                asscociation of c, c++ users .org

                sorry. ;)

                You should here(hear) my dyslexicon.
                At 05:11 PM 2/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
                >Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.

                The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?

                DR
              • Jason Gruber
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2 3:24 AM
                  On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 05:11:15PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
                  > > I have found that, for me, soft copies beat hard copy references by a
                  long
                  > > shot. I have yet to meet a back-of-the-book index that could beat
                  > > /usr/bin/grep.
                  >
                  > Love too but Dyslexia makes it a bit hard.

                  Ryan Wrote back..

                  Ahhh... I'm sorry. I hate being insensitive to stuff like that. Though
                  the soft copies might still be useful as a one-off reference guide, which
                  is all I use it for anyway (I can't imagine reading much of the C++
                  standard in one sitting).

                  >>You didnt know, so no offense taken ;)

                  I am, however, intrigued by this
                  "dyslexia-makes-reading-things-on-the-computer-more-difficult" thing.

                  Do flat panel displays help at all?

                  >>No. Good Graphics Cards and decent sharp monitor is fine for me.
                  voodoo3 + 19inch Sony Triniton at home Laptop For work.

                  Would having the angle adjusted help? -- I.e., I've seen some desks that
                  have a glass top that you look down through at your monitor, which might
                  make it better emulate the angle you have when you read a book.

                  >> Never seen one but would like to try one.

                  Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
                  background on dark test? No difference?

                  >>Yes! and this is has relevence to all. The colour of the background and
                  text is important for any medium.
                  When I was at uni doing psychology there was a load of research beeing done
                  into colour and paper

                  One study found that white background black text on exam papers was not
                  good. Light Green / Light Blue black text is the best for concertartion and
                  improved memory functioning.

                  As for my monitor ... Pale blue Background and Black text means that I
                  can look at my screen for ages. But not enough to read for long.
                  Especially on the web where white backrounds rule.

                  If you were to take one of the old teletypes where the display is just a
                  printer, would that solve the problem (though of course it would add to
                  other problems).

                  >>Headachs yep! ;)

                  I don't think I have any traces of dyslexia, and for the most part I'm
                  new skool when it comes to hard vs. soft copies. Still, even I enjoy the
                  ability that hard copies give you to change positions when reading a long
                  passage.

                  I'm wondering if "the future" holds a solution with the flexibility of
                  soft copies and the friendliness of hard copies.

                  >>Apprently so. Flexible LCD is coming. Yipeeeeeee

                  > That and a winmodem in home pc(</usr/bin/grep>!). Must get round to
                  > changing that..
                  You, too, can have your very own /usr/bin/grep:
                  http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

                  > Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.
                  I have to echo the sentiments of Mr. Rosenstrauch when he so aptly
                  asked:
                  "The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?"???!?!?!?

                  >> See later post about this. Soory.

                  - Ryan King

                  Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com