Re: [XP] Re: Planning Game and Tracking Velocity

  • Erik Hanson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      <jent@...> wrote:
      > Our on time record has improved about 200% since we started planning
      > this way. This makes me VERY heppy. Before it was take-your-best-
      > guess-then-double-it-and-pray. The process of task oriented
      > estimating (simple but effective) has made all the difference. Being
      > able to map the task to a calendar within a day or so is such a huge
      > leap in status tracking, I will never work without a plan on this
      > level again.

      On our last iteration (which was our 9th), the dev team estimated *perfectly*.
      At 5:00 on Friday of the last week of the iteration, the last story was
      checked in and tested. The customer (me) was very impressed.

      On previous iterations when we found we had mis-estimated, we either extended
      the iteration (we did this once and decided it was a bad plan) or pushed the
      unfinished stories to the next iteration.

      Now that our program is about to go into production, I know we'll be getting
      questions like "will feature X make it in the next release?" and I know I'll
      be able to answer "yes" or "no" instead of "I'm not sure", which will make the
      users happy (as soon as they start learning that when I say "yes" I mean it).

      Erik
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
        At 11:25 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Erik Hanson wrote:
        >On our last iteration (which was our 9th), the dev team estimated *perfectly*.
        >At 5:00 on Friday of the last week of the iteration, the last story was
        >checked in and tested. The customer (me) was very impressed.

        Congratulations!

        >Now that our program is about to go into production, I know we'll be getting
        >questions like "will feature X make it in the next release?" and I know I'll
        >be able to answer "yes" or "no" instead of "I'm not sure", which will make the
        >users happy (as soon as they start learning that when I say "yes" I mean it).

        Don't get TOO cocky. Estimates are still estimates, even when they are
        good. Things happen, mistakes are made, folks get colds. The real customer
        skill is providing stories that are so fine-grained that you can take out
        little bits of your favorite features, ensuring through scope control that
        the core of the required function is there.

        In the end, the customer controls scope to maximize product content in the
        time available.

        Regards,

        Ronald E Jeffries
        http://www.XProgramming.com