Pilot Project in XP

  • Larmore, Edward
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      I'm new to XP, and decided to learn by doing. Two friends and I started last
      night on implementing a game, called Ader's Cage, in Java. One of the
      friends is playing the customer, and the other friend and I are a
      programming pair. It is my first XP project. Here are some of the
      observations I made.

      The biggest lesson I learned last night was that writing tests first helps a
      lot. Once a given test is written, implementing the method being tested is a
      piece of cake. It really is a revolutionary idea.

      Another lesson I learned is that pair programming helps keep the code
      simple, because you're constantly bouncing ideas back and forth with your
      partner. But you have to actively resist the temptation to design for the
      future.

      One of the problems I had was trying to keep the customer from getting
      bored. I had him write down user stories. When he was done with that, I had
      him rank them by priority. When he was done with that, I didn't know what to
      do with him. He asked if phone contact would be sufficient in the future. I
      explained that XP encourages an on-site customer at all times. Should I ask
      him to bring a book to read next time, or is phone contact good enough?

      -Ed Larmore
      R a t i o n a l
      the e-development company
    • Javier Campoamor
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        He should write the acceptance test. And he can do his own work not related
        with the development (read a book is a nice work, not too hard).

        And better than the phone contact would be the NetMeeting contact. You can
        share the applications and show him everything that you want.

        Regards

        Javier

      • Larmore, Edward
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          I've heard of acceptance tests, but I'm not sure how those differ from the
          tests we (the programmers) are writing. What are they? Can you point me to a
          reference that has examples?

          -Ed Larmore
          R a t i o n a l
          the e-development company

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            At 10:45 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Larmore, Edward wrote:
            >One of the problems I had was trying to keep the customer from getting
            >bored. I had him write down user stories. When he was done with that, I had
            >him rank them by priority. When he was done with that, I didn't know what to
            >do with him. He asked if phone contact would be sufficient in the future. I
            >explained that XP encourages an on-site customer at all times. Should I ask
            >him to bring a book to read next time, or is phone contact good enough?

            Marvelous report, Ed, and congratulations for trying it. Sounds like a good
            experience.

            Real customers have real jobs they can do while they are with you. And you
            probably knew the game very well. IRL the customer sits through the
            planning and estimating process, explains the stories, observes the tasking
            (and often observes that we didn't understand the story). Then s/he goes
            back to her day job, staying on call for questions. Phone can work. If you
            have real questions for the customer, observe how ready you are to just
            talk across the room vs how [un]willing to call on the phone. Should give
            you an appreciation for having them there.

            For an experiment, sure, reading a book or surfing is just fine.

            Great stuff! Congrats again!

            Ronald E Jeffries
            http://www.XProgramming.com
            http://www.objectmentor.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
              At 11:18 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Larmore, Edward wrote:
              >I've heard of acceptance tests, but I'm not sure how those differ from the
              >tests we (the programmers) are writing. What are they? Can you point me to a
              >reference that has examples?

              XPI Chapters 5 and 6.

              In general acceptance tests would test the whole game in some way, unit
              tests tend to test single classes or small clusters of classes. Acceptance
              tests would look like a game-playing script, and from the unit tests you
              might not even be able to tell it was a game.

              Regards,

            • Eric Herman
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                > >One of the problems I had was trying to keep the customer from getting
                > >bored. I had him write down user stories. When he was done with that, I
                had

                In addition to writing and ranking stories, the customer is also in charge
                of acceptance tests. In addition to writing the stories, you might ask him
                to attach a test definition.

                If you don't have automated acceptance testing yet, this could be as simple
                as a usage script written on the back of the user story card:
                "Open Browser, go to development main page, enter "TestUser" and
                "TestPass". At welcome screen? Yes: Pass!"

                For each story, there should be at least one test definition, right? Plus
                testing error conditions and some combinations of input and such. Just like
                the unit tests, these functional tests will accumulate quickly.

                And these all need to be run regularly ... hopefully as each new story that
                is signed off by the customer as completed, but at least at the end of each
                iteration. If you don't yet have automated acceptance tests, your customer
                needs to be doing a lot of by hand testing. The customer may even find
                themselves swamped after only a couple of iterations.

                Eric Herman
                Product Sight
              • Larmore, Edward
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                  > And you probably knew the game very well.

                  Actually, I've never played the game. I hadn't even heard of it until a week
                  ago! :)

                  -Ed Larmore
                  R a t i o n a l
                  the e-development company
                • Nicholas DiPiazza
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                    THANKS FOR ALL THE BOOKS EVERYONE!!! I'm very thankful for your help.
                    Oh and by the way....
                    Who are the authors of The c++ programming language, Design Patterns, and
                    C++ FAQ?

                    Nicholas
                  • Larmore, Edward
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                      Nicholas-

                      It wasn't clear from your original message whether you are putting C++ to
                      practice at your job or at home. If you are, don't read the rest of this
                      message.

                      Books are great. I have lots of them. But all the reading in the world isn't
                      going to teach you like putting it to practice. I recommend that you pick
                      something to work on for fun, like a game. And then implement it in C++ (or
                      whatever language you settle on). Buy a cheap compiler from CompUSA or
                      something, install it, and start programming! That is what I did (and still
                      doing), and it got me my current job as a Java programmer.

                      -Ed

                      > Sorry to everyone on this list for being a question only kind of member
                      but
                      > I lack the experience I see that most of you have. I have yet another
                      > question for any of the gracious folks on the list to answer for me if
                      they
                      > like.

                      > well im definatly going to program primarily in c++... I love OOP... but I
                      > am afraid that I'm not getting the correct reading materials for the job.
                      > have read through SAMS Teach yourself c++ in 24 hrs (more like 24 days)
                      and
                      > both of Meyer's effective c++ books (which i really enjoyed and learned a
                      > lot from). These are the three basic books I have learned the majority of
                      > what I know about c++ from but I am now confronted with a dead end. I have
                      > of course purchased Bjarne's The evolution of C++ and I'm now confused
                      where
                      > I should go next. Does anyone have any good books out there to recommend
                      > a future OOP programmer.. Does anyone suggest I should dip my nose into
                      any
                      > other languages for my benefit's sake?

                      > Once again I thank everyone for answering my questions so open
                      heartedly...
                      > I'm sorry I'm not able to answer any of your own questions but I hope to
                      in
                      > the future!

                      > nicholas

                      -Ed Larmore
                      R a t i o n a l
                      the e-development company

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2001
                        The c++ programming language (Stroupstrup)
                        Design Patterns (Gamma)
                        C++ FAQ (Marshall P. Cline, Greg A. Lomow, Mike Girou)