RE: [XP] C++ Books and extra stuff

  • David Rosenstrauch
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
      At 05:11 PM 2/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.

      The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?

      DR
    • Ryan King
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
        On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 05:11:15PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
        > > I have found that, for me, soft copies beat hard copy references by a long
        > > shot. I have yet to meet a back-of-the-book index that could beat
        > > /usr/bin/grep.
        >
        > Love too but Dyslexia makes it a bit hard.
        Ahhh... I'm sorry. I hate being insensitive to stuff like that. Though
        the soft copies might still be useful as a one-off reference guide, which
        is all I use it for anyway (I can't imagine reading much of the C++
        standard in one sitting).

        I am, however, intrigued by this
        "dyslexia-makes-reading-things-on-the-computer-more-difficult" thing.

        Do flat panel displays help at all?

        Would having the angle adjusted help? -- I.e., I've seen some desks that
        have a glass top that you look down through at your monitor, which might
        make it better emulate the angle you have when you read a book.

        Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
        background on dark test? No difference?

        If you were to take one of the old teletypes where the display is just a
        printer, would that solve the problem (though of course it would add to
        other problems).

        I don't think I have any traces of dyslexia, and for the most part I'm
        new skool when it comes to hard vs. soft copies. Still, even I enjoy the
        ability that hard copies give you to change positions when reading a long
        passage.

        I'm wondering if "the future" holds a solution with the flexibility of
        soft copies and the friendliness of hard copies.

        > That and a winmodem in home pc(</usr/bin/grep>!). Must get round to
        > changing that..
        You, too, can have your very own /usr/bin/grep:
        http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

        > Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.
        I have to echo the sentiments of Mr. Rosenstrauch when he so aptly
        asked:
        "The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?"???!?!?!?

        - Ryan King
      • Dossy
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
          On 2001.02.01, Ryan King <rking@...> wrote:
          > Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
          > background on dark test? No difference?

          Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
          vs. a light background under dark text?

          - Dossy

          --
          Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
            At 10:14 PM 2/1/2001 -0500, it seemed like Dossy wrote:
            >Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
            >vs. a light background under dark text?

            You see? You just don't GET it, do you? We try to bring you along, but you
            just don't GET it!

            Ronald E Jeffries
            http://www.XProgramming.com
            http://www.objectmentor.com
          • Dossy
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
              On 2001.02.01, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
              > At 10:14 PM 2/1/2001 -0500, it seemed like Dossy wrote:
              > >Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
              > >vs. a light background under dark text?
              >
              > You see? You just don't GET it, do you? We try to bring you along, but you
              > just don't GET it!

              Just not dsylexic enough, I guess.

              - Dossy

              --
              Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
            • Ryan King
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
                On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:14:02PM -0500, Dossy wrote:
                > On 2001.02.01, Ryan King <rking@...> wrote:
                > > Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
                > > background on dark test? No difference?
                >
                > Exactly what IS the difference between dark text on a light background
                > vs. a light background under dark text?
                Heads you lose, tails I win.

                Darnit -- I obviously didn't proofread that sentence at all. Matter of
                fact, IIRC I just let the spell checker run and considered it verified.

                - Ryan "You knew what I meant" King
              • Jason Gruber
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Opps there you go. Welcome to the stange world of dsylexia.

                  swap the U and the A

                  www.accu.org

                  asscociation of c, c++ users .org

                  sorry. ;)

                  You should here(hear) my dyslexicon.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
                    On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 05:11:15PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
                    > > I have found that, for me, soft copies beat hard copy references by a
                    long
                    > > shot. I have yet to meet a back-of-the-book index that could beat
                    > > /usr/bin/grep.
                    >
                    > Love too but Dyslexia makes it a bit hard.

                    Ryan Wrote back..

                    Ahhh... I'm sorry. I hate being insensitive to stuff like that. Though
                    the soft copies might still be useful as a one-off reference guide, which
                    is all I use it for anyway (I can't imagine reading much of the C++
                    standard in one sitting).

                    >>You didnt know, so no offense taken ;)

                    I am, however, intrigued by this
                    "dyslexia-makes-reading-things-on-the-computer-more-difficult" thing.

                    Do flat panel displays help at all?

                    >>No. Good Graphics Cards and decent sharp monitor is fine for me.
                    voodoo3 + 19inch Sony Triniton at home Laptop For work.

                    Would having the angle adjusted help? -- I.e., I've seen some desks that
                    have a glass top that you look down through at your monitor, which might
                    make it better emulate the angle you have when you read a book.

                    >> Never seen one but would like to try one.

                    Which is easier for you to read? Dark text on light background or light
                    background on dark test? No difference?

                    >>Yes! and this is has relevence to all. The colour of the background and
                    text is important for any medium.
                    When I was at uni doing psychology there was a load of research beeing done
                    into colour and paper

                    One study found that white background black text on exam papers was not
                    good. Light Green / Light Blue black text is the best for concertartion and
                    improved memory functioning.

                    As for my monitor ... Pale blue Background and Black text means that I
                    can look at my screen for ages. But not enough to read for long.
                    Especially on the web where white backrounds rule.

                    If you were to take one of the old teletypes where the display is just a
                    printer, would that solve the problem (though of course it would add to
                    other problems).

                    >>Headachs yep! ;)

                    I don't think I have any traces of dyslexia, and for the most part I'm
                    new skool when it comes to hard vs. soft copies. Still, even I enjoy the
                    ability that hard copies give you to change positions when reading a long
                    passage.

                    I'm wondering if "the future" holds a solution with the flexibility of
                    soft copies and the friendliness of hard copies.

                    >>Apprently so. Flexible LCD is coming. Yipeeeeeee

                    > That and a winmodem in home pc(</usr/bin/grep>!). Must get round to
                    > changing that..
                    You, too, can have your very own /usr/bin/grep:
                    http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

                    > Thanks for all the books. www.ucca.org is a great site.
                    I have to echo the sentiments of Mr. Rosenstrauch when he so aptly
                    asked:
                    "The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America web site?!?!?!?"???!?!?!?

                    >> See later post about this. Soory.

                    - Ryan King

                    Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com