RE: [XP] C++ Books

  • Jason Gruber
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
      Thank you ;)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Danil [mailto:danil@...]
      Sent: 01 February 2001 14:20
      To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [XP] C++ Books

      Did somebody ask about C++ books?

      http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/beginner_s_c__.htm
      http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/advanced_c__.htm

      My own list:
      Have at hand (one copy at home, one at work)
      Effective C++
      More Effective C++
      The C++ Programming Language
      Design Patterns
      C++ FAQ

      Well, I'm cheating on the last one. I have a copy at home, and use the
      online version at work.

      Regularly reread
      Accelerated C++ (a *very* good C++ introduction by Koenig)
      Exceptional C++ (super guru stuff, digest in small chunks)
      Large Scale C++ Software Design

      References
      The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
      IOStreams and Locales (Langer & Kreft)
      Generic Programming and the STL (Austern)

      There are plenty of others on the shelf, but these are the ones that I
      believe are worth mentioning.

      Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
    • Ryan King
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:19:27PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
        > References
        > The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
        > IOStreams and Locales (Langer & Kreft)
        > Generic Programming and the STL (Austern)
        I have found that, for me, soft copies beat hard copy references by a long
        shot. I have yet to meet a back-of-the-book index that could beat
        /usr/bin/grep.

        Specifically, I recommend the following:

        Dinkum C++ Library Reference:
        http://www.dinkumware.com/htm_cpl/index.html
        Detailed, and even cryptic at times, but if you've read something like
        _The C++ Programming Language_ then you'll have enough foundation to
        make this page useful.

        The C++ Standard [Draft]
        The official standard is something like $15 if you download it from
        the committee, but out of laziness I went ahead and downloaded a
        [free] draft copy off the Internet in HTML format. You cannot find a
        more comprehensive reference on what the library should do than this.

        /usr/lib/g++-3/*
        Seriously... It really helps to just read your vendor's interface and
        implementation of the library. Since no one currently supports the
        "export template" functionality, all template code has to be in the
        headers. While this is theoretically bad because the implementation
        is "exposed", it can help you learn your library.

        Since 100% conformance to the standard isn't common, you have to
        contrast what you get from the above two references with what you
        actually have.

        HTH,
        - Ryan King
      • Ryan King
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          > On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 02:19:27PM -0000, Jason Gruber wrote:
          > > References
          > > The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
          > > IOStreams and Locales (Langer & Kreft)
          > > Generic Programming and the STL (Austern)
          Darnit... Jason Gruber didn't write that, Danil did.

          For some reason my mail client (mutt) sorts this list funny... It has the
          "Thank you" reply placed as a sibling thread *above* the thing it was
          replying to.

          I haven't figured out why that is yet... but I apologize for the misquote.

          - Ryan King
        • C. Keith Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            the "C++ FAQs" book is VERY good for learning to do OO in C++.