Re: [XP] Questions questions questions

  • David Corbin
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
      > Maybe a book on CRC or UML.

      Can you recommend a book on CRC? I've only read articles...

      --
      David Corbin
      dcorbin@...
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
        On 2001.02.01, David Corbin <dcorbin@...> wrote:
        > > Maybe a book on CRC or UML.
        >
        > Can you recommend a book on CRC? I've only read articles...

        The CRC Card Book
        http://www.aw.com/cseng/titles/0-201-89535-8

        - Dossy

        --
        Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
      • Paul Michali
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
          Nicholas DiPiazza wrote:

          > Does anyone have any good books out there to recommend to
          > a future OOP programmer.. Does anyone suggest I should dip my nose into any
          > other languages for my benefit's sake?

          From a XP lurker, here are some books to consider (I liked them alot):

          Writing Solid Code - Steve Maguire
          The Pragmatic Programmer - Andrew Hunt & David Thomas
          Debugging the Development Process - Steve Maguire
          Code Complete - Steve McConnell
          Enough Rope to Shoot Yourself in the Foot - Allen I. Holub

          They cover other areas that may broaden your exposure, IMHO.
          As others have mentioned, the 3 XP books, the Design Patterns,
          Effective C++, and Refactoring books are also EXCELLENT.

          I'd STRONGLY suggest that you look into other languages. Coming
          from a C/C++ background, I've found that looking at languages like
          Java have helped me think more OO. I'm planning on looking at Ruby
          next, and if I can find time (fat chance :^), I'd like to tinker with Smalltalk.

          PCM (Paul Michali)

          Carrier Voice Gateway Business Unit (CVGBU)
          Cisco Systems, Inc.
          250 Apollo Drive
          Chelmsford, MA 01824

          Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 45817 (978) 244-5817 [direct]
          Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
        • Sean Zachariasen
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
            > You're going to want to get a good reference book for the environment
            you're
            > working in. If you're programming C++ in Microsoft's Visual Studio, I
            > suggest you get the MFC book (sorry, the title escapes me at the moment)
            > from Microsoft Press. I know it's a bit much that they expect you to buy
            the
            > manual separately, but it's worth the price, especially because the MFC
            > library is a pain to get your head around. If you're working away from the
            > Windows world, get a good reference to the Standard Template Library.

            Don't just get a book on the STL - get a book on the C++ Standard Library.

            A don't worry too much about other languages at this point. Master this
            one. I've always been of the opinion (no bigotry here - only a reference to
            complexity) that if you can master C++, then you can quickly grasp (and
            learn to appreciate) other languages. esp. Java

            Sean Zachariasen
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
              At 11:49 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Sean Zachariasen wrote:
              >A don't worry too much about other languages at this point. Master this
              >one. I've always been of the opinion (no bigotry here - only a reference to
              >complexity) that if you can master C++, then you can quickly grasp (and
              >learn to appreciate) other languages. esp. Java

              There is some truth to this opinion. I'm not comfortable with the original
              choice of C++ as a starting point, but you can certainly learn a lot from it.

              Kind of like cutting down a tree by hand so you can appreciate a chain saw,
              but you'll get real familiar with the wood, and you'll build up useful muscle.

              Regards,

              Ronald E Jeffries
              http://www.XProgramming.com
              http://www.objectmentor.com
            • John A. Maxwell
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                "Nicholas DiPiazza" <firelord@...> asked:
                [snip]
                > Does anyone have any good books out there to recommend to
                > a future OOP programmer.. Does anyone suggest I should dip my nose into any
                > other languages for my benefit's sake?

                C++ books: "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel

                Other books: The XP trilogy, of course.

                "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Abelson, Sussman, and Sussman.
                This is my favorite introductory computer science book; after 20 years
                as a professional programmer, it still taught me things when I first
                read it. It uses a lisp dialect called Scheme. They cover a bit of OO
                in there, but not a lot. The full text is online at
                http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/sicp.html

                Other languages: I won't bother telling you to learn Smalltalk,
                because _many_ others will do that.

                -John

                --
                John A. Maxwell (jmax@...)

                "`You may recall Archelaus's explanation of earthquakes,' he said
                cryptically. `Earthquakes were cause by air trapped in underground
                caves. It shook the earth in its effort to escape. Everyone knew then
                that the earth was flatulent.'"
                -John MacPhee, Annals of the Former World
              • Vera Peeters
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2001
                  The book I found the most illuminating for learning OO is definitely
                  "Designing Object Oriented C++ Applications Using The Booch Method" by
                  Robert C Martin.
                  Personally, I think the articles you can find in
                  http://www.objectmentor.com/publications/articlesByDate.html, explain
                  everything even more clearly. I especially like the first 4 of the
                  "Principles": Open-Closed Principle, Liskov Substitution Principle,
                  Dependency Inversion Principle and Interface Segragation Principle. Sadly
                  enough, the book he promises in those articles hasn't yet been finished. I
                  guess he's busy with other things these days....