RE: [XP] Questions questions questions

  • Jason Gruber
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
      >I'd vote for Delphi, it is every bit as powerfull as C++, just as object
      >oriented, has better tools than just about any language, will have a
      >much shorter learning curve than SmallTalk, is the most 'readable'
      >language available, very well suited for XP and RAD. Best thing about it
      >s most programmers can learn it faster than most other 'real' languages
      >(I.E VB excluded).
      >>Just to add my 2 pence worth. Borland C++ Builder 5 is RAD for C++.
      Very powerful and easy to use.
    • Jason Gruber
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
        But to respond to the original post.

        I am learning C++ too.

        I am using Thinking in C++ by Eckel. It is very good and not overly
        complicated. Very intrested in the comments and your learning too. However
        I am sure that comp.lang.c++ is better for this.

        I am though as you can guess useing Borlands C++ builder not VC++ so dont
        have to go down that road and it is a very strange road too.

        I am a vb programmer but since .NET I am leaving the MS world for the
        Borland community and XP as the methodology.
      • David Corbin
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
          > Maybe a book on CRC or UML.

          Can you recommend a book on CRC? I've only read articles...

          --
          David Corbin
          dcorbin@...
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
            On 2001.02.01, David Corbin <dcorbin@...> wrote:
            > > Maybe a book on CRC or UML.
            >
            > Can you recommend a book on CRC? I've only read articles...

            The CRC Card Book
            http://www.aw.com/cseng/titles/0-201-89535-8

            - Dossy

            --
            Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
          • Paul Michali
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
              Nicholas DiPiazza wrote:

              > Does anyone have any good books out there to recommend to
              > a future OOP programmer.. Does anyone suggest I should dip my nose into any
              > other languages for my benefit's sake?

              From a XP lurker, here are some books to consider (I liked them alot):

              Writing Solid Code - Steve Maguire
              The Pragmatic Programmer - Andrew Hunt & David Thomas
              Debugging the Development Process - Steve Maguire
              Code Complete - Steve McConnell
              Enough Rope to Shoot Yourself in the Foot - Allen I. Holub

              They cover other areas that may broaden your exposure, IMHO.
              As others have mentioned, the 3 XP books, the Design Patterns,
              Effective C++, and Refactoring books are also EXCELLENT.

              I'd STRONGLY suggest that you look into other languages. Coming
              from a C/C++ background, I've found that looking at languages like
              Java have helped me think more OO. I'm planning on looking at Ruby
              next, and if I can find time (fat chance :^), I'd like to tinker with Smalltalk.

              PCM (Paul Michali)

              Carrier Voice Gateway Business Unit (CVGBU)
              Cisco Systems, Inc.
              250 Apollo Drive
              Chelmsford, MA 01824

              Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 45817 (978) 244-5817 [direct]
              Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
            • Sean Zachariasen
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                > You're going to want to get a good reference book for the environment
                you're
                > working in. If you're programming C++ in Microsoft's Visual Studio, I
                > suggest you get the MFC book (sorry, the title escapes me at the moment)
                > from Microsoft Press. I know it's a bit much that they expect you to buy
                the
                > manual separately, but it's worth the price, especially because the MFC
                > library is a pain to get your head around. If you're working away from the
                > Windows world, get a good reference to the Standard Template Library.

                Don't just get a book on the STL - get a book on the C++ Standard Library.

                A don't worry too much about other languages at this point. Master this
                one. I've always been of the opinion (no bigotry here - only a reference to
                complexity) that if you can master C++, then you can quickly grasp (and
                learn to appreciate) other languages. esp. Java

                Sean Zachariasen
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                  At 11:49 AM 2/1/2001 -0800, it seemed like Sean Zachariasen wrote:
                  >A don't worry too much about other languages at this point. Master this
                  >one. I've always been of the opinion (no bigotry here - only a reference to
                  >complexity) that if you can master C++, then you can quickly grasp (and
                  >learn to appreciate) other languages. esp. Java

                  There is some truth to this opinion. I'm not comfortable with the original
                  choice of C++ as a starting point, but you can certainly learn a lot from it.

                  Kind of like cutting down a tree by hand so you can appreciate a chain saw,
                  but you'll get real familiar with the wood, and you'll build up useful muscle.

                  Regards,

                  Ronald E Jeffries
                  http://www.XProgramming.com
                  http://www.objectmentor.com
                • John A. Maxwell
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2001
                    "Nicholas DiPiazza" <firelord@...> asked:
                    [snip]
                    > Does anyone have any good books out there to recommend to
                    > a future OOP programmer.. Does anyone suggest I should dip my nose into any
                    > other languages for my benefit's sake?

                    C++ books: "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel

                    Other books: The XP trilogy, of course.

                    "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Abelson, Sussman, and Sussman.
                    This is my favorite introductory computer science book; after 20 years
                    as a professional programmer, it still taught me things when I first
                    read it. It uses a lisp dialect called Scheme. They cover a bit of OO
                    in there, but not a lot. The full text is online at
                    http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/sicp.html

                    Other languages: I won't bother telling you to learn Smalltalk,
                    because _many_ others will do that.

                    -John

                    --
                    John A. Maxwell (jmax@...)

                    "`You may recall Archelaus's explanation of earthquakes,' he said
                    cryptically. `Earthquakes were cause by air trapped in underground
                    caves. It shook the earth in its effort to escape. Everyone knew then
                    that the earth was flatulent.'"
                    -John MacPhee, Annals of the Former World
                  • Vera Peeters
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2001
                      The book I found the most illuminating for learning OO is definitely
                      "Designing Object Oriented C++ Applications Using The Booch Method" by
                      Robert C Martin.
                      Personally, I think the articles you can find in
                      http://www.objectmentor.com/publications/articlesByDate.html, explain
                      everything even more clearly. I especially like the first 4 of the
                      "Principles": Open-Closed Principle, Liskov Substitution Principle,
                      Dependency Inversion Principle and Interface Segragation Principle. Sadly
                      enough, the book he promises in those articles hasn't yet been finished. I
                      guess he's busy with other things these days....