XP Quotes

  • Tom.Ayerst@dresdnerkb.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      Linus Torvalds quoted from the Linux kernel mailing list:

      "Never over-design. Never think "Hmm, maybe somebody would find this
      useful". Start from what you know people _have_ to have, and try to make
      that set smaller. When you can make it no smaller, you've reached one point.
      That's a good point to start from - use that for some real implementation."

      There's a whole bunch of quotesof his (he's very quotable) at:
      http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/2980/1/

      Tom

    • Alan Francis
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Tom.Ayerst@d... wrote:

        > There's a whole bunch of quotes of [Linus] (he's very quotable) at:
        > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/2980/1/

        I particularly loved:

        It's the "clever" programmer I'm afraid of. The one who isn't afraid
        of generating complexity, because he has a Plan (capital "P"), and he
        knows he can work out the details later. --Linus Torvalds

        Which I now have up beside this Wayne Conrad (from
        wiki:IdiotProgrammer) quote on my wall:

        I am an idiot. That has profoundly affected the way I code.
        Everything must be simple enough for a child to understand,
        and even then I struggle. Being an idiot has forced me to
        refactor mercilessly. If I don't, there's no chance of me
        understanding my code. And if I don't understand my code,
        there's no chance of me getting it to work.

        I've seen people who can solve complex problems, and I admire
        them. Alas, I'm not one of them. So whenever I have to solve a
        complex problem, I make it simple first.

        If I can't make a problem simple, it's usually because someone
        else insists that it remain complex. In that case, I have to wait
        for someone smart to fix it (thank you, smart person), or for
        someone to change their mind and allow me to make the problem
        simple. -- WayneConrad

        Alan