Re: [XP] Dark Star (Was: News from the Java refactoring browser)

  • c@nautronix.com.au
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 31, 2001
      =From: "Michael C. Feathers" <mfeathers@...>
      =Subject: Re: [XP] Dark Star (Was: News from the Java refactoring browser)
      =
      =This has to be the quote of the week. Good one, Eric!
      =
      =Eric Hodges wrote:
      =
      ="I just don't want to jeopardize my confidence that I've fixed a
      =bug. There's a Zen saying, "You can never step in the same
      =river twice." The meaning is that the river and the person are

      i hate to be picky :) but...it was heraclitus and afterwards another
      greek philosopher (i forget which one) said that you couldnt step
      into it even once.

      =always changing. I don't need any Zen crap in my code. I
      =want reproducible results."

      cheers,

      =
      =
      =
      =Michael
      =
      =---------------------------------------------------
      =Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
      =Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
      =XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
      =www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
      =---------------------------------------------------
      ="Il codice sorgente � il disegno."
    • James LewisMoss
      Message 52 of 52 , Feb 1, 2001

        Bill> From: "Dossy" <dossy@...>
        >>

        >> On 2001.01.31, David Corbin <dcorbin@...> wrote:
        >> > Would you care ot provde your "endless-loop-perl" code too?

        Bill> Woohoo!!! Somebody replied to my message! ;-)

        >> I'm not sure if this is what Bill does, but I've used this in a
        >> pinch:
        >>
        >> perl -ne 'eval; warn $@ if $@;'

        Bill> Yes, that's almost exactly it, for me, though I just print $@
        Bill> regardless... so maybe the warn is nicer / more friendly.

        Bill> Here's what I currently use (DOS version)

        Bill> pint.bat -------- @echo off perl -nwe "eval; print qq'$@\n'"

        Bill> (Unix version) pint ----
        Bill> #!/bin/sh
        Bill> perl -nwe 'eval; print "$@\n"'

        If you don't mind the debugging nature of it

        perl -d -e 1

        provides a nice interactive perl interpreter.

        Jim

        --
        @James LewisMoss <dres@...> | Blessed Be!
        @ http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com | Linux is kewl!