RE: [XP] Question on Testing

  • Tom Copeland
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
      I just finished doing this with a small body of code (2K lines of Java) that
      I just updated/refactored - the code was a) broken and b) had huge methods
      with names like doUpdate() and checkAndApplyChanges()).

      Anyhow, I pulled little bits of it into small objects and wrote tests for
      those objects. Sometimes it was a little scary as I pulled stuff apart, but
      as long as I took my time, it all seemed to work out.

      Yours,

      Tom

    • Roger Whitney
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2001
        For examples of classes on XP in school there is UIUC. Ralph
        Johnson and I taught a summer session course on XP. See
        http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/cs497rej/XP+workshop. The class met 40 hours a week
        for four weeks. Students learned XP by doing. We developed software using
        XP. We had students, faculty and several from industry on the XP team. This
        is the way to learn XP.

        In the fall semester Ralph Johnson's Software engineering course
        covered RUP and XP. See http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/SEcourse.

        This week at SDSU I started my Emerging Technologies course (see
        http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/courses/spring01/cs683/index.html). In this course
        I will be covering XP. However the typical university course is far from
        ideal place to learn XP. One learns what one does. Until you actually do XP
        you do not know what the problems really are and how to solve them. In my
        course I have 30 students that work 40 hours a week and attend classes two
        nights a week. So we can not really do XP. I can get them started in the
        right direction - test first, refactoring, the simplest thing that could
        possible work, etc. They will get experience with some of the practices of
        XP and an intellectual overview of XP.

        I suspect that there are other courses out there, but don't know of
        them.

        >I am currently a college student and I am looking for a way to use XP in my
        >studies because I love the concepts involved. I would love to see classes
        >assosiated with XP but in the college in which i am going to there isnt a
        >single one. Has anyone on this list ever been in a class that actually
        >centered on XP concepts and techiniques? If yes then could you explain? If
        >no then would you think that such a class would be benefical?

        >Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com

        Roger Whitney Mathematical & Computer Sciences Department
        whitney@... San Diego State University
        http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/ San Diego, CA 92182-7720
        (619) 583-1978
        (619) 594-3535 (office)