RE: [XP] Question on Testing

  • Gareth Reeves
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2001
      Transitioning to XP is always going to be tough. Do you have enough of a
      commitment from whoever signs the checks to stop delivering functionality
      for a while and just write tests? If you do, take it. But I would be
      surprised if this is the case.

      I would spend as much time writing tests (both unit and functional tests) as
      possible until you start to feel confidence in the code. Then write more...
      If you can get to the point where you do a fairly substantial refactoring
      and not break anything then you will be in good shape.

      It is amazing how much you will learn about the code by writing the tests.
      You may have to restructure some of it so that it makes more sense but I bet
      the restructuring will be for the better. I am constantly amazed by how well
      factored my code is as a result of the testing.

      Good luck, it wont be easy. Don't forget that one of the best things you can
      do is ask for help.

      Gareth