[extremeprogramming] Re: Elves in the Night [Stupid XP Question Number 6614]

  • Robert C. Martin
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 3, 2000
      <brougham2@...> wrote in message
      news:g9tvOEuL+JwgdytR6VTasnqHZLeH@......
      > "Phlip" <new_email@...> wrote:
      >
      > >BTW IS ANYONE GONNA ANSWER THE ACTUAL QUESTION??? ("Should software
      > >dev run in 3 shifts if you actually need a little speed, and if so
      > >will XP grease the system or hurt it?")
      >
      > I had assumed the question was facetious. I see no advantage in using
      three
      > shifts. Just triple the number of people working during the day.
      > Obviously, if one woman takes nine months to bear a child, three women
      can
      > get the job done in three months.

      The advantage is that you need one third the resources, i.e. space,
      desks,
      computers, licenses, etc.

      > If you're constantly having to document unfinished work at the end of
      each
      > shift, and then having to review what went on without your knowledge
      at
      the
      > beginning, I can easily see a highly efficient programmer losing 25%
      of
      his
      > time just on the extra overhead of difficult communications. So
      having
      > three shifts might double your production. And that's assuming
      everybody
      is
      > communicating effectively.

      If you are pair programming, and if your shifts overlap by 50%, then the
      communications overhead should be minimal. At shift change only one
      member
      of each pair changes. Thus, continuity can be preserved.

      Of course I've never tried this, or seen it tried, so its speculation on
      my
      part.

      --

      Robert C. Martin | OO Mentoring | Training Courses:
      Object Mentor Inc. | rmartin@... | OOD, Patterns, C++,

    • Robert C. Martin
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 5, 2000
        Tom Kreitzberg <Tom.Kreitzberg@...> wrote in message

        > But I think "flexibility" means different things to XP and,
        > shall we say, pre-XP OMA. In XP, doesn't it primarily mean
        > once and only once? In pre-XP OMA, doesn't it primarily mean
        > OCP and low coupling? When I wrote that XP "is structured so
        > that inflexible designs are cheap to change," I meant inflexible
        > in this second sense.

        There is no fundamental difference between pre XP Object Mentor, and
        post XP
        Object Mentor except that we have identified XP as the process we like
        use. Even this is not a big shift for us, since XP is very similar in
        spirit and practice to the unnamed process we have used for years.
        There
        are differences, certainly -- specifically in the areas of pair
        programming
        and test first programming; but these are differences in intensity, not
        in
        philosophy. As for the rules governing simplity, the planning game,
        quick
        iterations, etc, we were very closely aligned.

        Flexibility means the same to me now as it did five years ago. The
        ability
        to add or change significant amounts of functionality while changing a
        minimum of exsiting code -- i.e. the OCP. OnceAndOnlyOnce leads to this
        goal just as the OO design principles do. It is my goal over the next
        several months to integrate the principles and XP.