RE: [XP] Suggestions for getting started with pair programming?

  • Bob Folline
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2001
      The biggest issues I have had is a reluctance to "Have someone looking
      over my shoulder" So I have made it more difficult by changing the mi
      so people worked on things they were not familiar with. Then I paired
      them with the current expert so that they needed this person. From there
      I would keep the pair together by stressing that they should be together
      when any actual code was written. This under the guise that they could
      review as they code.

      People who have done the pair programming usually like it. Those that don't

      generally are not confident in their code quality or have code ownership
      to the point of code protection. For the lack of confidence we can work
      around
      that with positive reinforcement. For the code protecting I try, mostly
      unsuccessfully, to get them to understand that we all own the code and if
      they
      are not happy with the changes someone else makes then I can pair them with
      that person so they can explain as they go.

      Bob Folline