Re: applying XP concept to designing databases

  • C.V. Briggler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2001
      Do the DBA's play any role in the creation of the Development
      schema? Also, how do the developers coordinate their efforts in
      evolving the schema? Do you ever have any problems with two
      developers creating what is essentially the same table ? Also, do
      you enforce any naming standards for database objects?

      In my experience, allowing the schema to evolve ad-hoc makes for huge
      problems when it comes time to update your database from version 1 to
      version 2. Especially if the database is expected to be up 24/7.

      Another risk is that your developers may not have the skills to
      create good data models. Just because someone is an excellent Java
      (or whatever) developer does not make them a good data modeler. The
      concepts of relational data modeling are pretty easy to understand,
      but it takes a lot of experience to apply those concepts. I
      understand the concepts of object oriented programming, but I would
      be lost if asked to code a Java servlet.

      Having said that, I do not mean that the data model must be
      watertight before the developers start coding. That would be foolish
      indeed! The schema absolutely needs to evolve as development
      progresses. I have had the best experience when there has been a
      Data Modeler as part of the development team. This person (or
      persons) works with the developers to understand their needs and
      integrates those requirements into a schema. The Data Modeler may
      also suggest Views, Stored Procedures, Functions, or other options
      that the developers may not be aware of. The Data Modeler can also
      act as a liason to the DBAs to speed the process of moving the
      database from Dev to Staging to Production.

      I hope this helps a little.

      CV