Re: Presenting Pair Programming

  • Ian Rae
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Roger Lipscombe"
      <rlipscombe@s...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > We've been trying a little bit of pair programming recently, and
      I've been
      > asked (along with the guy that I paired with) to give a little talk
      to the
      >[..]
      > 3. Rebuttals to "hecklers".

      Tackle scepticism about PP efficiency using the analogy of typing.
      The "common sense" approach to typing is to use two fingers -- this
      is how everyone first does it. Productive immediately; small
      learning curve. The notion of using ten fingers and NOT looking at
      the keyboard is very counter-intuitive. There's a large learning
      curve but once learned, it's far faster.

      Similarily, PP seems counter-intuitive; how can two people be more
      than twice as fast as one! Well, the cost of fixing a bug is highly
      related to the distance in time between it's creation and detection.
      PP gets this time down to seconds, as opposed to days or weeks w/o PP.

      --Ian