Customer Involvement

  • arie_van_deursen@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2001
      XP prescribes an on site customer, who speaks with one voice.

      Although clearly desirable, this may be difficult to realize
      in practice (it certainly is in our XP project).
      Different customers have different wishes
      regarding costs, interpretation of stories, timing, and
      priorities. Moreover, getting a good customer, who can
      decide with some authority and understand the concerns
      of the developers are hard to find (and keep).

      Does XP include any hints, suggestions, practices,
      that help to deal with these problems?
      (like, e.g., for refactoring where I have a whole
      book providing smells and refactorings)

      Cheers,
      Arie van Deursen
    • Arie van Deursen
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16 8:21 AM
        Everyone with experience in or an opinion on the role
        of the on site customer in XP projects should not miss the

        Workshop on Customer Involvement, Sardinia, Italy

        Your chance to discuss your difficulties and share your thoughts,
        and a great chance to get to Italy and attend XP2001.

        To attend, submit a position paper (1 on or 2 pages only)
        to wci2001@..., before March 23!

        Check out the call for participation at
        http://www.cwi.nl/~arie/wci2001/

        Hope to see you there,
        Arie van Deursen
      • Arie van Deursen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
          Hi all,

          During XP2001 I co-organized a workshop on customer involvement.

          It took half a day, during which there was intense discussion
          on many aspects involving customers (on site) in an XP project.

          I've compiled a 4-page report of this workshop, containing
          the most important questions, conclusions, and lessons learned.

          You can view it from http://www.cwi.nl/~arie/wci2001/wci-report.pdf

          It will also appear in the November 2001 issue of
          ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes.

          Cheers,
          Arie

          Arie van Deursen. CWI, P.O. Box 94079, 1090 GB Amsterdam, The
          Netherlands.
          Tel. +31 20 5924075, Fax. +31 20 5924199. URL:
          http://www.cwi.nl/~arie.