User story for software stability?

  • brendan@scanoptics.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
      My software interfaces with a video frame grabber through VFW.
      Despite my software being quite simple, after a few hours of
      connecting and disconnecting from the card the computer can become
      unstable. How do I make this a story? Currently I have:

      The software shall run for at least 4 consecutive hours, performing
      all actions of the software without crashing.

      (Yes I wrote the story, not the user). But those with a vested
      interest in the software just told me to make sure it 'doesn't crash
      too often'. So how to measure stability?

      (If this has been brought up before, sorry, its hard keeping up with
      the hundreds of posts a day :)

      Regards

      Brendan
    • Patrick Logan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, brendan@s... wrote:
        > My software interfaces with a video frame grabber through VFW.
        > Despite my software being quite simple, after a few hours of
        > connecting and disconnecting from the card the computer can become
        > unstable. How do I make this a story? Currently I have:
        >
        > The software shall run for at least 4 consecutive hours, performing
        > all actions of the software without crashing.
        >
        > (Yes I wrote the story, not the user). But those with a vested
        > interest in the software just told me to make sure it 'doesn't
        crash
        > too often'. So how to measure stability?
        >
        > (If this has been brought up before, sorry, its hard keeping up
        with
        > the hundreds of posts a day :)

        First, some kidding...

        Here are two possible stories:

        (1) The application will reboot the computer every four hours.

        (2) The application will run on a high quality operating system.

        Now a serious thought...

        Does the computer remain unstable even when the application
        quits? If not, then maybe there is a way to disconnect and
        restart the application without rebooting such that the
        computer will be restored to a more stable state.

        This is a typical approach for server applications: to
        keep the overall system running for a long time, cycle
        through OS processes, allowing them to lose their cruft
        and start anew.

        What should the story be? Something measurable, like a
        minimum acceptable amount of up-time. And perhaps some
        graceful ending instead of simply allowing the system
        to freeze without warning. Admit the problem to the
        end users, don't hide it.