Properties of a coach

  • robert_Dawson777@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      What would people see as being requirements for a coach?

      I am in a location where there doesn't seem to be many people who have
      actually used XP around. Short of experience on multiple XP projects,
      can anyone make any suggestions.

      Thanks,
      Robert Dawson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
        At 12:54 AM 1/2/2001 +0000, it seemed like robert_Dawson777@... wrote:
        >What would people see as being requirements for a coach?
        >
        >I am in a location where there doesn't seem to be many people who have
        >actually used XP around. Short of experience on multiple XP projects,
        >can anyone make any suggestions.

        It's awfully hard to coach a game you haven't played. It's even hard to
        coach a game you HAVE played, as it takes a kind of analytic eye and a
        bunch of personality stuff (much of which I obviously don't have ;-> )

        For a while I have been feeling that teams could do well without a coach,
        and in fact some do. I am coming to believe that if a team were open to
        hearing ideas, an experienced coach could improve their performance by 10,
        20 percent, perhaps even more.

        No harm done trying to coach with no experience. Just recognize that it is
        even more true for you than for an experienced coach that you don't know
        what you're talking about. And I certainly don't ... ;->

        Regards,

        Ronald E Jeffries
        http://www.XProgramming.com
        http://www.objectmentor.com
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
          On Monday 01 January 2001 16:54, you wrote:
          > What would people see as being requirements for a coach?
          >
          > I am in a location where there doesn't seem to be many people who
          have
          > actually used XP around. Short of experience on multiple XP
          projects,
          > can anyone make any suggestions.

          Mini poll: How much time should a coach spend pairing with the crew?

          ( ) 0% of the time
          ( ) 33% of the time
          ( ) 67% of the time
          ( ) all the time

          --Phlip

          (New question: What to do about the coach who picks the first option?
          ;)
        • Gareth Reeves
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            >This used to happen to me on C3 when Kent would visit: he'd see
            >stuff that I couldn't see. It's that old frog in the pot of water
            >thing.

            Yeah, he has done that to me to, sometimes even over a web cam ;-)

            My point was that to have a team without a full time coach they at
            least need the basic practices of testing and refactoring and doing
            the simplest thing. I am sure that we are in agreement.

            Gareth