Re: [XP] Re: Forming an XP dot-com

  • David Corbin
    Message 1 of 145 , Dec 29, 2000
      Keith Richardson wrote:

      > --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Bob Koss" <koss@o...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > How practical is it for someone without XP experience to build an
      > XP-
      > > > based team?
      > >
      > > Everyone had to start someplace. Even Kent didn't have XP
      > experience before
      > > he invented XP ;-)
      > >
      > > The real question is, how much risk are you willing to take in this
      > area?
      >
      > That's an interesting way of putting it and raises a new question...
      > What are the risks from introducing XP in a start-up environment?
      > What can go wrong and what should I be looking out for?
      > Keith Richardson

      The real question is, "What is the risk of someknow that has no
      experience trying to do XP without help?" Frankly (and am almost in the
      same boat), I think that if the "director of engineering" is a
      reasonably astute manager, and good engineer, then you're not likely to
      be any worse off than if you try some other approach.

      --
      David Corbin
      Mach Turtle Technologies, Inc.
      Message 145 of 145 , Jan 13, 2001
        From: "Bob Koss" <koss@...>
        > > I like Bob Martin's idea. Instead of calling it the 40 hour week,
        > > call it the 8 hour burn. The idea is to work so focused and intensely
        > > that at 1700 you're obviously good for nothing more than going home
        >
        > And I'm here to tell you that it's balls to the wall for those 8 hours!
        >
        > I've had the opportunity to work with Bob in his home office. The work day
        > started at exactly 9am, we usually had a sandwich (standing up) around noon,
        > and by 5pm I was so drained that I wasn't sure that I could drive back to my
        > hotel. I couldn't imagine working more than 40 hours a week at that pace.

        Then you're not doing XP! Kent says there have to be snacks ;-)

        Steve