Communication and the on-site customer

  • Keith Paton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2000
      Xp says that we should have good communication between the customer and the
      developer.
      One way that XP suggests we ensure such good communication is to have the
      customer on-site.

      In the sort of software I write, I have not found the on-site cuistomer to
      be necesary. Let me explain.

      I write systems that automatically inspect code *in C or C++) looking for
      and detecting many of the faults that can be detected by human code
      inspectors.

      The customer and I decide which faults my system is to detect. We do this
      by passing a spreadsheet to and fro. The spreadsheet entries specify just
      when the system is to issue a message and just when it is not.

      The initial spreadsheet comes from the customer's own coding standards. It
      acquires more rows when the customer thinks of some "new" fault that he
      would like the system to detect. It acquirs more columns when we think of
      new points to make about an existing row.

      When we are in this mode, we update the spreadsheet several times a day. As
      the developer I positively prefer this approach. The discussion focusses on
      the behaviour of the system to be built.

      In short, good communication is one thing and the on-site customer is
      another. In some projects good communication requires the on-site customer
      ; in my project I can practise good communication without having an on-site
      customer.

      Keith