Re: [XP] Metrics to Prove XP Works

  • Ian Hobson
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2000
      In article <3A2E9ABB.1216D94A@...>, Tom Mostyn
      <tmostyn@...> writes
      >Robert Crawford wrote:
      >>
      >> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 01:38:51PM -0600, Tom Mostyn wrote:
      >> > I find it odd that some XP'ers say "only the code knows" and "the code
      >> > is the design" making XP a very code centric process, but then refuse to
      >> > measure productivity in terms of code.
      >>
      >> Because we're not producing code; we're producing business
      >> value. That's done by completing stories and making releases, not
      >> by the number of lines of code added/changed/deleted.
      >
      >XP produces business value by generating code. One is easier to measure
      >than the other. Given the choice of measuring business value vs. code I
      >would choose to measure code. It's easier to measure, IMO.

      If you want business value, measure business value. (or some close
      analog)

      If you want code, measure code.

      Remember is was a *drunk* who dropped his keys in the dark but was
      looking under the lamp-post because he could see there!

      Regards

      Ian Hobson

      Every time we teach a child something, we prevent him from inventing
      it himself. - Jean Piaget