Re: Metrics: d(LOC)/d(stories)

  • Glen Alleman
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2000
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
      > My experience and my study indicates that over time, good designs
      > develop "internal reuse" of code. That's part of the OAOO voodoo,
      > but any category of good design I've seen shows it. Therefore, I
      > really do expect rate of growth of the system to decline over time,
      > with spikes as we've seen when new functionality joins in. People
      on
      > this group have discussed how a well-factored system supports
      adding
      > new functionality with fewer lines of code, affecting the time
      > estimates of later stories.
      >
      > I could be wrong on this, but it will take quite a bit of evidence
      > shift the results of 10 years of reviewing projects to do so. I
      > don't think XP makes that much of a shift in resultant code.
      >
      > Alistar (who's Really spent way too much time here today)

      This is the direct evidence on our project. The total number
      of "useful" lines (aource lines our tool calls them) stabilized at
      around 270K. The refatoring is now a balance between new features,
      and re-implementing old features that were let's say "not as good as
      they could be." This includes adding (after the fact) much of the
      distributed exception handling and fault tolerant code. One woudl
      think this would increase the LOC, but that is not what the charts
      say.

      Glen Alleman