Re: [XP] An Experiment Status: Task B and decisions

  • Kevin Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2000
      --- Paul Michali <pcm@...> wrote:
      > If you've been following this multi-thread, maybe
      > you can comment on
      > some of the decisions that I'm faced with making
      > (sort of as a virtual
      > pair):
      >
      > Now that I'm starting to think about what's next
      > (namely parsing the page
      > to generate a notification with some of the data),
      > I've hit upon some
      > concerns and decision points...
      >
      > I was thinking of having the concept of an
      > Observation Point. In the
      > solution, this would be some of the lines in the web
      > page that contain
      > the road conditions that the Scout is interested in.
      > Thinking about this
      > raises a few of questions.

      Sounds like you're thinking ahead (YAGNI). You're
      writing an app that pulls specific data off of a
      specific page. Personally, at least for the first
      attempt, I would just look for the tag that would get
      you what you need, hard-code it, and move on. Business
      value.

      If you later need to generalize, that's the time to do
      so. In this case, even though you're pulling from two
      (I think) pages, I would either find a way to VERY
      simply generalize, or would have two separate find
      functions.

      > Finally, about estimating. Do I just estimate the
      > time I plan to spend in
      > front of the computer implementing the tests and
      > production code or
      > do I include the "analysis" time I spend away from
      > the computer
      > (like now or during the coding) trying to figure out
      > the design?

      I'll await word from more seasoned folks, but I think
      the short answer is "it doesn't matter". As long as
      you are consistent, your velocity will tell you the
      important thing, which is how much _actual work_ you
      can get done in a span of calendar time.

      That's why some people estimate in units of 'gummy
      bears'. It's an abstract unit.

      Kevin

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/