Re: who do your pair with?

  • John Brewer
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2000
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "C. J. M. Booth" <cjmb@a...>
      wrote:
      > As far as I can tell, all these people give sound advice, and make
      > thoughtful comments based on their experience. Yet we never seem
      > to hear from those that they pair with. I wonder why that is.
      > Would any of you care to explain, please. (I suspect that the
      > explanation might make some reference to the difference between
      > introverts and extroverts.)

      Jera Design is currently a 1-person shop, so you won't see my
      pair partners posting from the same domain. Right now I'm working
      with another 1-person shop, pairing on some work, and doing some work
      alone. We've been doing both physical pairing (which involves a 90
      minute commute for one of us) and remote pairing via NetMeeting.

      I've also paired with a couple of people at one of my previous
      clients, although that sort of petered out after a while. My first
      first-hand experience with pairing by that name was at XP Immersion 2
      last Feb/March. Before that, I had occasionally paired, but
      always under the guise of "fixing a really hard bug".

      John Brewer
      Jera Design
    • kjray
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
        C. J. M. Booth <cjmb@...> on 12/1/00 2:33 AM wrote:
        [...]
        >As far as I can tell, all these people give sound advice, and make
        >thoughtful comments based on their experience. Yet we never seem to hear
        >from those that they pair with. I wonder why that is. Would any of you
        >care to explain, please. (I suspect that the explanation might make some
        >reference to the difference between introverts and extroverts.)
        [...]

        One of my team-members is subscribed to the junit mailing list, and
        complains that he gets too many messages. He would NOT be able to handle
        this XP mailing list, because his reading speed is not up for it. Many
        of my co-workers would also not be up for 50+ mail messages a day,
        whether in digest form or not, because they are not native English
        reader/speakers, or just not fast readers. This is probably more
        important than introvert/extrovert. Some would not read the mailing list
        at home, as I do, because they have a life / children / hobbies / etc.
      • David Corbin
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
          kjray wrote:

          > C. J. M. Booth <cjmb@...> on 12/1/00 2:33 AM wrote:
          > [...]
          > >As far as I can tell, all these people give sound advice, and make
          > >thoughtful comments based on their experience. Yet we never seem to hear
          > >from those that they pair with. I wonder why that is. Would any of you
          > >care to explain, please. (I suspect that the explanation might make some
          > >reference to the difference between introverts and extroverts.)
          > [...]
          >
          > One of my team-members is subscribed to the junit mailing list, and
          > complains that he gets too many messages. He would NOT be able to handle
          > this XP mailing list, because his reading speed is not up for it. Many
          > of my co-workers would also not be up for 50+ mail messages a day,
          > whether in digest form or not, because they are not native English
          > reader/speakers, or just not fast readers. This is probably more
          > important than introvert/extrovert. Some would not read the mailing list
          > at home, as I do, because they have a life / children / hobbies / etc.

          You raise valid point about people that can't read (English) very fast.
          But I don't know how any career programmer can ignore the vast sources
          of knowledge such as this list provide. OTOH, Junit has had about 70
          messages in 3 weeks. If you can't keep up with that, I think you're in
          the wrong business. And I too have a life/hobbies/wife/etc. Sorry for
          the rant. This is a pet-peeve of mine.

          --
          David Corbin
          Mach Turtle Technologies, Inc.
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2000
            David Corbin <dcorbin@...> on 12/2/00 10:59 AM wrote:

            [...]
            >You raise valid point about people that can't read (English) very fast.
            >But I don't know how any career programmer can ignore the vast sources
            >of knowledge such as this list provide. OTOH, Junit has had about 70
            >messages in 3 weeks. If you can't keep up with that, I think you're in
            >the wrong business. And I too have a life/hobbies/wife/etc. Sorry for
            >the rant. This is a pet-peeve of mine.

            The one who complained about the JUnit mailing list is one of the best
            programmers I've worked with. However, when he read the book "Extreme
            Programming Explained", he used a English-Korean dictionary to help him,
            and sometimes asked me to explain idioms.

            Unlike almost all of the not-very-good programmers I've worked with, he
            _will_ read books to expand his education.

            And he reads the bits I select from the XP mailing list. I try to pick
            the best and most-relevant messages from the XP mailing list, which
            average about 2 or 3 messages a week, and forward those to my co-workers.
          • Robert Watkins
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2000
              C.J.M. Booth writes:
              > Robert Watkins
              >
              > As far as I can tell, all these people give sound advice, and
              > make thoughtful comments based on their experience. Yet we never
              > seem to hear from those that they pair with. I wonder why that
              > is. Would any of you care to explain, please. (I suspect that
              > the explanation might make some reference to the difference
              > between introverts and extroverts.)

              Well, in my case, we don't do XP. A small group of us are trying, and we're
              getting quite a few of the XP values and practices adopted, but
              pair-programming in particular is one our management doesn't want to
              swallow. We get around it by pairing informally, especially senior-junior
              people under the label of mentoring.

              There were a couple of other guys here that posted intermittently, but
              they've moved on. Another couple read the list. We've got a division of
              labour, as well... monitoring the XP groups is one of my "tasks".

              > PS Another question: do you folks talk over any of your postings
              > with your pairs?

              No, not usually. I frequently highlight messages on the list to the group I
              work with, though.

              Robert.

              --
              /\\\ Robert Watkins | Email: robert.watkins@...
              ( ))) Software Engineer - Tech Dev | Ph: +61 7 3303 3432

              delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
              opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless
              expressly stated otherwise.
            • Dossy
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2000
                On 2000.12.02, kjray <kjray@...> wrote:

                > And he reads the bits I select from the XP mailing list. I try to pick
                > the best and most-relevant messages from the XP mailing list, which
                > average about 2 or 3 messages a week, and forward those to my co-workers.

                Wow, I wish my company would hire someone to sift through the XP
                mailing list and send me only a few relevant emails a day!

                - Dossy
                Excuse me while I remove my tongue from my cheek.

                --
                Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...