RE: [XP] Questions on XP in VB

  • Ken Reigle
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      Roy Oshrove <roy.Oshrove@...> on 11/28/2000 04:49:29 AM

      Please respond to extremeprogramming@egroups.com

      To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Ken Reigle/OH/US/KMC)

      Subject: RE: [XP] Questions on XP in VB

      >Ken.
      >Thanks for the answer.
      >Perhaps you could send me your updated version of VBUnit?
      >I was wondering how you were able to simplify it.
      >Roy.

      Roy,

      Haven't had much time lately to keep up with this list. My updates to VBUnit
      are not exactly ready for prime time. However, if there is enough interest
      within this group, I can probably get it there before too long (he says
      hopefully).

      In the meantime, here's basically what the changes are. From what I understand
      about VBUnit, you have to compile down the DLL level in order to get the tests
      to run. Instead of this, I created a simple front end to the testrunner form,
      which looks at a directory, and picks up all the test cls files. We have a
      naming standard for these test classes so they are easy to recognize. From this
      front end, you can select which classes you wish to test individually, or you
      can select them all. I don't yet have support for testing 1 or more methods
      within a class individually, and I'm not convinced it would be worth the effort.

      After selecting the test classes, you press a button which invokes the
      testrunner, passing it a list of classes to test. The setup method instantiates
      an object from the class, and the teardown method destroys it. This isn't
      perfect however. I'd like to instantiate a new object for each test method so
      that we don't have to deal with the prior test's leftovers.

      The front end will remember which classes you last tested, so you don't have to
      reselect each time you run it, and there is an autorun feature as well. The
      autorun uses the last set of selected classes, and will auto invoke testrunner.
      You have the option to change the class selection after it runs.

      This requires that you make the front end to testrunner the startup form in the
      application, and I had to do some hoaky things to get testrunner to associate
      class file names with actuall classes. IMO, there is too much manual work
      involved in setting up a new test. If you miss 1 or more steps in the setup,
      testrunner doesn't run the test, and you have a false sense that all is well.
      But, if you strictly follow test first, you'll know if you've missed a step,
      because the first time you run the new test, it will pass, when you expect a
      failure.

      I make changes every now and then, usually whenever a particular limitation
      happens to be pissing me off. Again, it's not perfect, but the important thing
      is we are doing testing, which is a huge jump forward here.

      Has anyone else worked with VBUnit and if so, would anyone else be interested in
      an updated version of it? I'm not volunteering to take ownership of VBUnit,
      because I don't feel comfortable enough yet to do so. I know that Brad was
      looking for someone to take this work over a while ago. My shop is probably
      moving to Java, which would kind of put a damper on further VB development. =P

      Ken