Re: [XP] An XP Experiment (long)

  • Paul Michali
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2000
      Kevin Smith wrote:

      > You have mentioned that you wrote this app once before. What
      > solution did you use to send mail then? In other words, is
      > there a workable solution that you already know how to use?
      > Once it's working, you could later switch to JavaMail if you
      > wanted to. Or was that app in a different language/platform?
      > I'm just looking for ways to deliver that business value as
      > quickly as possible.

      I had used sockets by opening a socket to the corporate
      mail server, forming a mail message, and then sending it. It is
      about 50 lines of Java and is not very robust (it doesn't check
      to see if the message was sent successfully).

      I have been toying with the idea that I could do it this way and
      then change it later. I've also been thinking about doing a spike
      solution with JavaMail to see how that works.

      I been pondering about whether I should do what is quickest for
      me versus what is "the simplest thing". I just read this e-mail, which
      is along the same thoughts...

      Kevin Smith wrote:

      > If you are going to mock JavaMail, then I think you
      > described it pretty well. In a perfect world, JavaMail would
      > have a published interface. You could write a class that
      > implements that interface.
      >
      > If it instead publishes a class, then it's harder to mock. I
      > think you would create your own interface, with two
      > implementations. One would simply pass through to JavaMail.
      > Since it's trivial, you could get away with no UT's for it.
      > the other implementation would be your test stub.
      >
      > I'm not a Java guru, so grab a grain of salt.

      Yeah, me neither, and there's quite a bit to learn about all of
      the Java packages that are available. I've going to look at the
      stuff that Robert Crawford posted recently on this thread to
      learn more about JavaMail.

      PCM (Paul Michali)

      Carrier Voice Gateway Business Unit (CVGBU)
      Cisco Systems, Inc.
      250 Apollo Drive
      Chelmsford, MA 01824

      Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 45817 (978) 244-5817 [direct]
      Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]
    • Joe Tatem
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2000
        This is just me, but I would start with the code you have. It may not be
        very good, but at least it does something. Then, you can write tests
        that break it, make the fixes and refactor mercilessly.

        You still have to have a test setup, tho. Maybe the poster who wrote the
        in-memory SMTP/POP3 server could share it?

        Joe

        Paul Michali wrote:

        > Kevin Smith wrote:
        >
        > > You have mentioned that you wrote this app once before. What
        > > solution did you use to send mail then? In other words, is
        > > there a workable solution that you already know how to use?
        > > Once it's working, you could later switch to JavaMail if you
        > > wanted to. Or was that app in a different language/platform?
        > > I'm just looking for ways to deliver that business value as
        > > quickly as possible.
        >
        > I had used sockets by opening a socket to the corporate
        > mail server, forming a mail message, and then sending it. It is
        > about 50 lines of Java and is not very robust (it doesn't check
        > to see if the message was sent successfully).
        >
        > I have been toying with the idea that I could do it this way and
        > then change it later. I've also been thinking about doing a spike
        > solution with JavaMail to see how that works.
        >
        > I been pondering about whether I should do what is quickest for
        > me versus what is "the simplest thing". I just read this e-mail, which
        > is along the same thoughts...
        >
        > Chris Booth wrote:
        >
        > > I felt I just had to point out that just because something is EASY
        > > doesn't mean it is SIMPLE. "Easy" is a property of the process,
        > > but "simple" is a property of the product. XP wants a simple design
        > > so that your intention is communicated (amongst other things). You
        > > want an easy implementation to make the process fast. I think XP
        > > says that you should do the simple thing rather than the easy thing,
        > > because in the long term it will save the customer's money. Even if
        > > he is you, I believe :-)
        >
        > Kevin Smith wrote:
        >
        > > If you are going to mock JavaMail, then I think you
        > > described it pretty well. In a perfect world, JavaMail would
        > > have a published interface. You could write a class that
        > > implements that interface.
        > >
        > > If it instead publishes a class, then it's harder to mock. I
        > > think you would create your own interface, with two
        > > implementations. One would simply pass through to JavaMail.
        > > Since it's trivial, you could get away with no UT's for it.
        > > the other implementation would be your test stub.
        > >
        > > I'm not a Java guru, so grab a grain of salt.
        >
        > Yeah, me neither, and there's quite a bit to learn about all of
        > the Java packages that are available. I've going to look at the
        > stuff that Robert Crawford posted recently on this thread to
        > learn more about JavaMail.
        >
        > PCM (Paul Michali)
        >
        > Carrier Voice Gateway Business Unit (CVGBU)
        > Cisco Systems, Inc.
        > 250 Apollo Drive
        > Chelmsford, MA 01824
        >
        > Phone : (800) 572-6771 x 45817 (978) 244-5817 [direct]
        > Paging: (800) 365-4578 [voice] pcm@... [email page]

        > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
      • Dossy
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2000
          On 2000.12.01, Paul Michali <pcm@...> wrote:
          > I just looked at each task and "guestimated" how long it would take me sitting
          > at my PC, punching out code (I think that's what I read I should do). Pure
          > programming, without any other distractions. I'm cheating a bit, as I have an
          > application that I made a while back, so I know most of the things I have to
          > do.

          Never label "leveraging past experience" as "cheating". That's a
          lot of what differentiates good programmers from really good
          programmers.

          Speaking of cheating, let me ask the XP folks a question:

          Say you recognize that a set of stories the customer asked for could
          be solved with a third-party product. Completing these stories would
          be by integrating this third-party product into the project you're
          delivering to your customer.

          o How does this affect your velocity? Should you even count these
          completed stories towards your velocity? Should the time it takes
          to integrate product XYZ count as the velocity?

          o Should the original stories be thrown out and a new story written
          along the lines of "integrate product XYZ into project"?
          Should the original stories be kept and the task and story
          completion be tracked as "completed by integrating product XYZ
          into product"?

          o How do you give an estimate for something like this? Pretend you
          have no experience with product XYZ at all, other than the fact that
          you know for certain that it will meet your customer's needs. Is it
          fair to give WAG's at that point, and perhaps adjust them as SOON
          as you know they're wrong and let the customer make decisions then?
          Do you just say "I really have no idea, and no way of making an
          educated guess" and go forward with NO estimates? (Scary thought.)

          (Pretend that no spike you could run would really give you a good
          idea of the difficulty with any real level of confidence. Pretend
          that the cost of product XYZ would be the same or less than what you
          would charge the customer to develop it yourself, and that time to
          integrate product XYZ would be the same or less than the time it
          takes to implement it yourself.)

          I'm sure there are other questions that should be asked, but these
          are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

          - Dossy

          --
          Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
        • John Brewer
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 1, 2000
            --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, Dossy <dossy@p...> wrote:
            > On 2000.12.01, Paul Michali <pcm@c...> wrote:
            > o How does this affect your velocity? Should you even count these
            > completed stories towards your velocity? Should the time it
            takes
            > to integrate product XYZ count as the velocity?

            (See below)

            > o Should the original stories be thrown out and a new story written
            > along the lines of "integrate product XYZ into project"?
            > Should the original stories be kept and the task and story
            > completion be tracked as "completed by integrating product XYZ
            > into product"?

            If the team already has an estimate for doing the story by hand. So
            now you're handing your customer an alternative story, "buy and
            integrate XYZ" instead of "write XYZ functionality in house." You
            estimate the new story, apprise your customer of the risks (per-seat
            licensing, and product immaturity, for example). Then he gets to
            decide.

            > o How do you give an estimate for something like this? Pretend you
            > have no experience with product XYZ at all, other than the fact
            that
            > you know for certain that it will meet your customer's needs.

            If I have no experience with it, how can I be certain it'll meet my
            customer's needs?

            > Do you just say "I really have no idea, and no way of making an
            > educated guess" and go forward with NO estimates? (Scary
            thought.)

            You spike. If the spike is going to take a large chunk of time, you
            get the customer to schedule it.

            > (Pretend that no spike you could run would really give you a good
            > idea of the difficulty with any real level of confidence.

            If no spike could give me an estimate, then I'd consider it too risky
            to try.

            > Pretend
            > that the cost of product XYZ would be the same or less than what
            you
            > would charge the customer to develop it yourself, and that time
            > integrate product XYZ would be the same or less than the time it
            > takes to implement it yourself.)

            Which one? If integration can cost as much as doing it ourselves,
            then any cost of product XYZ represents an additional cost to the
            customer.

            John Brewer
            Jera Design
          • Dossy
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2000
              On 2000.12.02, John Brewer <jbrewer@...> wrote:
              > > o How do you give an estimate for something like this? Pretend you
              > > have no experience with product XYZ at all, other than the fact
              > that
              > > you know for certain that it will meet your customer's needs.
              >
              > If I have no experience with it, how can I be certain it'll meet my
              > customer's needs?

              Pretend you received advice from an expert whose knowledge you
              respect that the product will meet your customer's needs. Pretend
              that the expert has first-hand experience with the product, and
              you have shown him your story cards---you have just paired on story
              estimation---and he made this recommendation to use product XYZ.

              The gut reaction is "why can't this expert make the estimate?" and
              the quick answer is "perhaps the expert can do it in X days, but
              your team probably won't be able to." No, the expert cannot take
              part in any of the integration, not even to answer questions. (Say,
              the expert is a friend only doing you a favor.)

              Do you ignore what the expert has to say and implement in-house since
              you lack any experience, or... what?

              > > Do you just say "I really have no idea, and no way of making an
              > > educated guess" and go forward with NO estimates? (Scary
              > thought.)
              >
              > You spike. If the spike is going to take a large chunk of time, you
              > get the customer to schedule it.

              What if you can't spike because you can't get an evaluation copy of
              the product to spike with, and you can't convince the customer to
              purchase the product just to run a spike?

              (Most companies will give eval. copies, but this is just a hypothetical.)

              > > (Pretend that no spike you could run would really give you a good
              > > idea of the difficulty with any real level of confidence.
              >
              > If no spike could give me an estimate, then I'd consider it too risky
              > to try.

              That's what I was thinking.

              > > Pretend
              > > that the cost of product XYZ would be the same or less than what
              > you
              > > would charge the customer to develop it yourself, and that time
              > > integrate product XYZ would be the same or less than the time it
              > > takes to implement it yourself.)
              >
              > Which one? If integration can cost as much as doing it ourselves,
              > then any cost of product XYZ represents an additional cost to the
              > customer.

              The win is speed or cost. Let me expand what I said into what I
              was really trying to express (un-refactoring, whatever we used to
              call this back in Algebra class... multiplying out?):

              If it would cost the same, it would take less time to buy the
              product.

              If it would take the same amount of time, it would cost less to
              buy the product.

              - Dossy

              --
              Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
            • Tim Mackinnon
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 3, 2000
                Guys - be careful with this approach. I would reccomend viewing
                connecting to something real (even if its fake) as a kind of System
                test which is allowed to fail.

                I say this because by virtue of the protocols involved you often get
                one-off failures when you run your unit tests (its hard to guarantee
                that you started your server in time to run tests against it,
                similarly shutting it down can be tricky as well).

                We have stuff like this, and we are slowly getting rid of it and
                replacing it with objects we can mock up - e.g. Url is final in Java
                but we have wrapped it and we use something we call a WebConnection.
                We pass this object around and for our tests we pass in a fake
                version that does no url connections at all. This is great for
                repeatable unit testing.

                We then have some separate "system tests" (I say system because they
                aren't really acceptance/functional becuase the user didn't really
                write them) that connect to live things and prove some of the lower
                level connectivity. These tests will sometimes fail, but that is
                acceptable within reason (e.g. 1 time in 10 or something like that).

                Tim

              • Laurent Bossavit
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 4, 2000
                  > Pretend that no spike you could run would really give you a good
                  > idea of the difficulty with any real level of confidence. Pretend
                  > that the cost of product XYZ would be the same or less than what
                  > you would charge the customer to develop it yourself, and that time
                  > to integrate product XYZ would be the same or less than the time it
                  > takes to implement it yourself.

                  Given the above assumptions, isn't there an extra risk involved
                  when choosing the "integration" strategy over the "development"
                  strategy ? The above implies that the "time", "scope", and "cost"
                  variables are controlled, leaving what variable unconstrained ?..

                  Bless n'a pas de modele : son ambition
                  est d'en devenir un.
                  Laurent Bossavit - Software Architect
                  >>> laurent.bossavit@... <<<
                  >>> 06 68 15 11 44 <<<
                  >> ICQ#39281367 <<
                  Agence Bless http://www.agencebless.com/
                • Dossy
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 4, 2000
                    On 2000.12.04, Laurent Bossavit <laurent.bossavit@...> wrote:
                    > > Pretend that no spike you could run would really give you a good
                    > > idea of the difficulty with any real level of confidence. Pretend
                    > > that the cost of product XYZ would be the same or less than what
                    > > you would charge the customer to develop it yourself, and that time
                    > > to integrate product XYZ would be the same or less than the time it
                    > > takes to implement it yourself.
                    >
                    > Given the above assumptions, isn't there an extra risk involved
                    > when choosing the "integration" strategy over the "development"
                    > strategy ? The above implies that the "time", "scope", and "cost"
                    > variables are controlled, leaving what variable unconstrained ?..

                    The idea was that quality, scope and cost would be fixed by choosing
                    the third-party component. Quality, time and cost could be fixed
                    by implementing in-house.

                    Still, my question really was: how do you give estimates for something
                    you've never done before, and either there IS no spike that would give
                    you an estimate you have confidence in, or you can't think of a spike,
                    or the spike itself would be too time consuming/costly.

                    It seems the common theme amongst the XP'ers is: "Too risky, don't
                    do it."

                    - Dossy

                    --
                    Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...
                  • Russell Giebelhaus
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 8, 2000
                      I am currently reading Martin Fowler's book Refactoring: Improving the
                      Design of Existing Code.
                      I was intrigued to read about the Smalltalk Profiler for discovering and
                      pinpointing performance concerns in the code.

                      Are there similar profilers available for Java code?
                      We are currently writing a transparent persistence layer (utilizing XP) and
                      will soon be at the stage of needing to pinpoint performance issues.

                      Thank you for your help,
                      Russell Giebelhaus

                      Developer, Web Solutions, net-linx Americas Inc.
                      200, 12420 - 104 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5N 3Z9
                      russell.giebelhaus@...
                    • Jason Yip
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 8, 2000
                        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, "Russell Giebelhaus"
                        <russell.giebelhaus@n...> wrote:
                        <snip>
                        > Are there similar profilers available for Java code?
                        > We are currently writing a transparent persistence layer (utilizing
                        > XP) and will soon be at the stage of needing to pinpoint
                        > performance issues.

                        It's like these things come in groups...

                        PerfAnal,
                        http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/
                        perfanal/

                        or jProf, http://www.inttek.com/~jlnance/mozilla/jprof/
                      • Chad Fowler
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 9, 2000

                          > Are there similar profilers available for Java code?

                          For a cheap solution, try "java -prof <your class>". It's not
                          beautiful to read, but it can be helpful.
                        • Kevin Lewis
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 16, 2000
                            The commercial players I know about:
                            http://www.optimizeit.com/
                            http://www.jprobe.com/software/jprobe/

                            I do think that the profiling support in the JDK is pretty good.

                            --
                            Kevin Lewis
                            Axys Solutions