RE: [XP] An XP Experiment (long)

  • Duncan McGregor
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      What a cool thread this is. Thanks for sharing your experiences Paul.

      Can I ask what you based your estimates on? It seems to me like 2.5 ideal
      hours was a little, well, optimistic. Whereas a velocity of 1/3 when you are
      working alone and at home seems low.

      I would have estimated the lot at 15 hours. When I'm working on my own stuff
      the meetings and so on that are normally accounted for in velocity don't
      apply - instead I just estimate the end time bases on the number of hours I
      expect to be able to devote to the problem (say 2 hours tonight, 4 over the
      weekend, one more on Monday). I'm on my own, so there's no pairing factor to
      include either. The result is that, bar statistically-large unforeseen
      technical hitches, I usually get away with a velocity of one.

      I guess if I was working out how many elapsed weeks it would take to do a 5
      ideal-man-day project I would fall back on a velocity of (10 hours a week =
      1.5 days a week = 0.2). Hey, that's pretty close to yours - was that your
      reasoning?

      Waiting to see how it turn's out...

      Duncan Mc^Gregor
      "The name rings a bell"

      The information contained in this message or any of its
      attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended
      for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the
      addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
      dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited